Bare root pomegranate

I put a bare root pomegranate in the ground this past winter (mid Feb.), along with raspberries and roses (in different locations). The raspberries and roses are showing vigorous signs of growth; good cane on the raspberries and enough roses to harvest for the dining table centerpiece.

There is no sign of life from the pomegranate. That said, it doesn't really seem dead, either. The branches are supple and green. They'll bend when you bend them, not snap off as dry twigs might. But there are no leaves, no buds, nothing. It looks the same as when I put it in the ground.

I've heard that pomegranates take a few years to reach maturity but this is ridiculous. I should think that there would be a few leaves by now.

Anybody know what's going on here?

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

I'd guess you received a defective plant.

Reply to
HomerS

don't say) but I can say that for Southern California that would be very unusual. Pomegrantes I have put in bare root sprouted quickly and fruited in their 2nd year. I probably planted "Wonderful" however I can't say I remember. Planted them in full sun and lots of water to get them started (have really sandy non water retaining soil where I live). Regards - Jim

Reply to
jimnginger