Root Guard for trees?

Hiya, I'm in the process of building out a courtyard which will have brick walkways. We'd like to add a tree or two but I'm concerned that the tree roots will just destroy the walks as they will be fairly close to the trees. I've heard of "root guards" which are meant to be installed at the edge of the walk and will prevent roots from raising the walks. Is anyone familiar with this stuff? Is it just standard geotextile fabric or is there a special type? I see it available in the UK but haven't seen anything here in the states. Any advice is most appreciated. I'm in NM and still haven't decided on which type of trees yet but will be going for something fairly small and hopefully deep rooted. Thanks much, jlc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson