It isn't gardening per se, but ain't it nice?

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1189350.html
Chickens could be coming to roost in a backyard near you.
Across the country and the metropolitan area, people are joining the national urban chicken movement, sometimes turning outlaw to raise the birds.
The movement started with the rationale that raising chickens fits in with efforts toward local and pure foods, supporters say, and the eggs are fresh and flavorful. The animals also are entertaining pets, many say.
Today, Overland Park homeowner David Crupper will seek a special-use permit to house up to four chickens, even though he already has the birds and a homemade coop in his backyard.
Steve wrote:

Not so unusual. I live in Atlanta and the neighbor across the street had egg laying chickens that he let roam free. One by one they disappeared, I'm assuming other neighbors were hungry.
Being a city boy, I found this fascinating to see chickens in my yard. And I also learned the answer to that age old question: "Why does a chicken cross the road?" answer: "It doesn't care."
Jeff

Heh heh, and this makes eggs taste even better. Outlaw eggs, nothing finer.

Like it is said, and so true, 'tis easier to receive forgiveness than permission.
CluckCluck Charlie