Humanure!?!

Page 2 of 2
Thank you Len! I am sorry to hear about the failing health. Have you read "The Humanure Handbook"? It has a very inexpensive and effective method in it but it takes a good two or three years and involves a lot of hauling. I am in decent health and 35 so I am up for hauling my own waste. I am, also, interested in taking responsibility for my own crap (garbage/waste/etc.). The world would be a better place if more did that.
Oh, btw, I have a interest in permaculture, also. I have Bill Mollison's (sp?) book on permaculture that is a combo of permaculture I and II (I think). It is a big hardback book. Heady stuff. I recently got Holmgreens (sp?) book on permacultue design. Great stuff!!!
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Gello

g'day gello,
no haven't read humanure book i have it though along with mollesons 'intro' to pc' have had a bit of a flick through that. yes more people should take more responsibility for the waste they create and the un-sustainable demands that they make on this planet. we send very little garbage to landfill tip. there is very little recycling going on at the tip also. at least 1/2 of what we see could be easily composted such a waste of resource.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening

dried sewage fertiliser, in addition to the spreading it on the fields/injecting it into the soil that they do for farmers. Don't know if they still do it or not. I have a feeling Norsk hydro may also have been involved.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

toilets out in the boonies and I couldn't think that folks were wasting the composted output. Thanks.
Do any of your neighbors have the same setup?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

g'day larry,
usually if someone installs a composting toilet they already have a use for the end product, in my case i couldn't wait to get me hands onto it, the end product that is, and get it working in the soil.
none of my near neighbours have one, you need to remember that society has moulded our thinking from the more organic simple ways of the past to a more so called sofisticated way, you may say. so when they move to rural where water is a more valuable resource because you have to create your own water supply no reticulated systems out here, and then supply power to a pump to flush a loo that resembles the sewerage loos' of the cities, silly realy isn't it? and then to top it off they then go and buy soil improvers to add the their gardens mmm wonder sometimes.
there are many people using systems but not near me.
you need to remember how we live has been influenced by other sources, and to make sure we adhere they feed in hype and the fear of the unknown, which then gives those who don't want to look at or deal with the issue something to hide behind.
len
snipped
--
happy gardening
I seem to remember that Milorganite was a product of the City of Milwaukee's waste treatment system. Either that product or a similar one was found to be high in heavy metals, which found its way into the plants. Why heavy metals............. could be that some of the metal plating companies dump their wastewater into the sewer system?

It is in use in Australia. Formerly, Sydney disposed of its sewage into the sea, causing long dark plumes offshore down the coast and leading to pollution of the beaches when it got washed up during storms. Now, solids are filtered out, dried and sterilised by leading-edge technology, and sold as fertiliser. Most is composted before being spread around on parks, lawns, plantations and the home yard by landscapers. You do catch your breath when passing a park or yard where the fertiliser has been spread, but the odour vanishes after a few days. Its composition is closely monitored to ensure there are no problems of chemical contamination. The recycling/reuse of sewage sludge has been more successful than anyone originally dared hope, and it's a model that the world is starting to follow. I think microwaves are used in the drying/sterilising process.

writes:

Microwaves - that's cool.
AFAIK, a week of 150 degrees F will kill the human pathogens, and time/aging take care of it, too, wrt humanure.
The problem with the night soil thing in Asia is 2-fold, as I see it. It isn't aged/composted/heated to kill the bad stuff, and a lot of those people don't have a good clean source of drinking water, so their water's contaminated by it.
flick 100785