Horseshit!

Page 2 of 2

Good point, the phosphates and potassium are subject to being carried away by surface water during rains, and if not interred and sequestered by soil moisture, the ammonia (NH3), a by product of the break down of the amino acids, from the proteins (dead bacteria) in the manure, would escape into the air and be lost to the soil. This is why side dressing is less efficient than turning the manure into the soil. In lasagna gardening, the manure is cast on the unturned soil and covered with mulch, which provides the moisture necessary to sequester the ammonia.

--
- Billy
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:03:19 -0600, Una wrote:

I've just ordered a composter, I think I'll cook some of it some more. This stuff is only partially composted,