Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Page 7 of 7

Cool. I'm not from Indiana and have only been here five year so I'll have to look up where that is.

Not bad heritage, is it? I'm a farmer at heart but grew up in a city. I keep trying to talk farmers into letting me run their heavy equipment under the guise of "helping them" but, really, I just want to be a farmer driving a big ol' John Deere.
FragileWarrior@f'loonsmustdie.com says...

"HorseS" - plural? That sounds like it is the kind of town that would only have one horse.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Well, two of them can fit in my Neon so maybe it's like a one and 2/3 horse town...
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

After I left the bright lights and tall buildings behind, I spent several years going broke by helping the local farmers and doing other odd work, like cleaning chimneys (like that wasn't hazardous). This was in the area in which I grew up.
One older farmer I regularly helped work cattle, still kept a team of Belgians and would always work about ten acres of corn with them along with giving the neighbors sleigh rides in the winter. It was *so* peaceful watching them and hearing only the squeaking of harness and implements. Nothing to drown out the sound of everything else in the vicinity.
For sure, it would have been hard work, but I think that was better than today's alternative. And healthier.
Care, and thanks for bringing this to mind Charlie
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"

I could not agree more. I bet those were much easier times to live. Now we have cereal aisles with ten thousand different cereals. When I was a kid there was Kellogs Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Shredded Wheat and Farina! Well, more than that, but certainly not an aisle full of postured, product placement. It's mind boggling.
snipped-for-privacy@sakadawa.com writes:

Didn't they determine in the last few years that the Hydrogen was not the problem for the fire and explosion? I don't recall the details of the report, but it seriously disputed the previous information including how many eye witness reports were disregarded at the time. If anyone knows about this, I would love them to post it. My tracking isn't all that good about things that are not relevant to my current life.

Why? Because Japan, as so often, sees what is needed and produces it, knowing full well that that Detroit is going for profit first and for today and not looking at the long haul. It's no coincidence that the gas hogs are advertised in a pristine setting.
I own a Prius, first generation. It took me a long time and serious thought to buy other-than-American as I've always had American-made cars. My son pointed out that I could support Japan once and the oil fields less for the rest of time, or support our profit-hungry, environment-unfriendly American auto manufacturers and the oil fields to the max. I get motorcycle mileage and the comfort of a mid-size car. Honestly, I have gotten 50 mph overall since I got it in August 1st of 2003; that's real mileage, not bragging mileage. It has as much (or more) inside room than my Escort did and has a smaller footprint, and over double the gas mileage. So, I can't pull a trailer but I haven't since my 1957 Ford days, but I can keep up with or get out of the way of any other vehicle on the road; that gas engine is just as powerful as in an all-gas car but the battery is wonderful in those snail traffic jams. I must admit that there have been times I've shown the jack-axxex that the "electric" has as much power as they do when they start messing around and enjoy it just as much as when I left the same type jokers behind with my '57. (Loved that car!)

Our back-yard gardens, CSAs, and shopping farmers' markets are a start. As they say down under - Good on us. (We're trying.)
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

The Hindenburg My mess, my clean-up. Feller can't even get away with a little hyperbole these days. Next time I'll take it one teeny word at a time:-)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/automobiles/29HINDEN.html?ex 35499200 &endbd204f3df0ab5&eiP88&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster
7,000,000 cubic ft. of H2, and it's container(The Hindenburg), burned in 34 sec. Maybe no a bang but, it certainly wasn't a whimper. The hydrogen was the fuel. St. Elmo's Fire may have been the ignition.
Electrical conditions in the atmosphere were probably a little risky. Earlier in the day, rubber factories in northern New Jersey had been closed due to static in the air; the fear was that stocks of carbon black might ignite. ------
The "Space Shuttle" runs on hydrogen and oxygen. Pound for pound the best "bang" for your buck that you can get.
Y'all can go back to pullin' weeds now.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Yes, I do. But it is set up for telephone transfers only which means that they ask me the questions which I've pre-set so it would be so very unlikely for it to ever be compromised. There are no on-line transfers for it. It's as safe as it can be in this day and age. The card has a VISA logo so has all the benefits of that, and my credit union is local so the service is outstanding.
Glenna
snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

I used Bank Of America.
I'll have to ask them about this.