Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

I do have a debit card.

It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the money is gone, it's gone.

Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.

Reply to
Omelet

Omelet expounded:

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in the past, so I know it works.

Reply to
Ann

Ok, that's good info, thanks! My debit card is a visa.

I'll have to talk to my bank. I am new to debit cards.

Reply to
Omelet

Mine is has the visa logo also. Any debit cards with a major credit card logo have the same perks as a credit without all the downfalls. or that's the way it works around here anyway. definitely check with your bank - but if you have the logo - you should be fine.

rae

Reply to
Rachael Simpson

Thanks again. :-)

I have managed to pay off all of my credit card debt and am trying to totally avoid using them at all. Interest rates are usery!

Reply to
Omelet

Didn't they determine in the last few years that the Hydrogen was not the problem for the fire and explosion? I don't recall the details of the report, but it seriously disputed the previous information including how many eye witness reports were disregarded at the time. If anyone knows about this, I would love them to post it. My tracking isn't all that good about things that are not relevant to my current life.

Why? Because Japan, as so often, sees what is needed and produces it, knowing full well that that Detroit is going for profit first and for today and not looking at the long haul. It's no coincidence that the gas hogs are advertised in a pristine setting.

I own a Prius, first generation. It took me a long time and serious thought to buy other-than-American as I've always had American-made cars. My son pointed out that I could support Japan once and the oil fields less for the rest of time, or support our profit-hungry, environment-unfriendly American auto manufacturers and the oil fields to the max. I get motorcycle mileage and the comfort of a mid-size car. Honestly, I have gotten 50 mph overall since I got it in August 1st of 2003; that's real mileage, not bragging mileage. It has as much (or more) inside room than my Escort did and has a smaller footprint, and over double the gas mileage. So, I can't pull a trailer but I haven't since my 1957 Ford days, but I can keep up with or get out of the way of any other vehicle on the road; that gas engine is just as powerful as in an all-gas car but the battery is wonderful in those snail traffic jams. I must admit that there have been times I've shown the jack-axxex that the "electric" has as much power as they do when they start messing around and enjoy it just as much as when I left the same type jokers behind with my '57. (Loved that car!)

Our back-yard gardens, CSAs, and shopping farmers' markets are a start. As they say down under - Good on us. (We're trying.)

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Yes, I do. But it is set up for telephone transfers only which means that they ask me the questions which I've pre-set so it would be so very unlikely for it to ever be compromised. There are no on-line transfers for it. It's as safe as it can be in this day and age. The card has a VISA logo so has all the benefits of that, and my credit union is local so the service is outstanding.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Yes, I do. But it is set up for telephone transfers only which means that they ask me the questions which I've pre-set so it would be so very unlikely for it to ever be compromised. There are no on-line transfers for it. It's as safe as it can be in this day and age. The card has a VISA logo so has all the benefits of that, and my credit union is local so the service is outstanding.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I used Bank Of America.

I'll have to ask them about this.

Thank you. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

The Hindenburg My mess, my clean-up. Feller can't even get away with a little hyperbole these days. Next time I'll take it one teeny word at a time:-)

see
cubic ft. of H2, and it's container(The Hindenburg), burned in

34 sec. Maybe no a bang but, it certainly wasn't a whimper. The hydrogen was the fuel. St. Elmo's Fire may have been the ignition. ³Electrical conditions in the atmosphere were probably a little risky. Earlier in the day, rubber factories in northern New Jersey had been closed due to static in the air; the fear was that stocks of carbon black might ignite.²

------

The "Space Shuttle" runs on hydrogen and oxygen. Pound for pound the best "bang" for your buck that you can get.

Y'all can go back to pullin' weeds now.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

Reply to
Glenna Rose

That sounds nice but it costs significantly more to extract hydrogen fro= m =

water then to produce it any other way. The most economical way at prese= nt =

to produce hydrogen on a massive scale is steam reforming of the methane= =

in natural gas or coal gas in which the gas is combined with superheated= =

steam, releasing hydrogen and carbon dioxide. CH4+2H2O=3D4H2+CO2 if I go= t my =

chemistry right. This is the Bush hydrogen initiative. No improvement in= =

carbon dioxide emissions, but it would be a boon for the natural gas and= =

coal industries. And that's the real point of it.

Lorenzo L. Love

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward = is =

to be controlled by all that the coward fears. To be led by a fool is to= =

be led by the opportunists who control the fool. To be led by a thief is= =

to offer up your most precious treasures to be stolen. To be led by a li= ar =

is to ask to be lied to. To be led by a tyrant is to sell yourself and =

those you love into slavery." Octavia Butler

Reply to
Lorenzo L. Love

Reply to
dr-solo

If you are planing on using the Citric Acid Cycle

to power your car, you can plan on zipping along at the speed of a growing plant. CO2 release is only a problem if you add to the atmospheric load of CO2. CO2 already exists in the atmosphere where it is part of the CO2 Cycle
. The Problem is in increasing the amount of CO2 by the introduction of fossil fuels. Working within the CO2 Cycle is a zero sum games with no CO2 increase.

H2 + O2 is a great source for energy but I don't think you want a pressurized cylinder of it under the back seat of your car. If H2 could be produced as needed, it may be safe (depending on the process). Electric cars powered by central power stations across a grid would, to me, make the most sense for daily needs. This would allow CO2 scrubbing of smoke stacks to eliminate CO2 from being returned to the atmosphere and allow the use of bio-mass for fuel.

Fossil fuel is the enemy.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

not citric acid, not electron transport. use first stage of light reaction in photosynthesis. H2O + photon ->2 H+ and electrons and O

I am th>If you are planing on using the Citric Acid Cycle

Reply to
dr-solo

2 H2O + 2 NADP+ + 2 ADP + 2 Pi + light --> 2 NADPH + 2 H+ + 2 ATP + O2 ? That is a mess of wet chemistry, you have in mind guy/girl. Another way would be, by definition an acid releases H2 when it comes in contact with a metal (yeah, there are a few exotics, but hyronium donors do) but then there is the problem of all that acid sloshing around in the vehicle. Seems to me, photovoltaic and a battery would be more practical. Even more practical would be the electric plug in vehicle. For the real hard core, we could go back to the Stanely Steamers. Then Frag could just dry out some pasture pastries, toss 'em in the burner, and sail off down the road. No fossil fuel. Might smell a little funky though.

I think I have a recent article around here, some where, on H2 storage. Lemme git back to ya.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose

electrical plugs just put off the problem. somebody somewhere gotta burn something to make the electricity. if they are making hydrogen from water, fine, if it is nuclear less than ideal.

platinum is typically used to catalyze the splitting of water, used with an electrical current in an ionic but not necessarily acidic environment. Ingrid

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:35:35 -0700, Billy Rose wrote: Even more practical would be the electric plug in vehicle.

Reply to
dr-solo

True, but then you can use bio-mass and your not burning fossil fuel. Additionally, you have the option of scrubbing the smoke stack to sequester the CO2 and reduce the over all amount in the atmosphere.

About as far as you can get from ideal, IMHO. In 30 - 40 years, fusion reactors should be viable with lots of safe, clean energy. Why mess up the planet for a 40 year fix, when it creates more problems than it solves?

The April '07 issue of Scientific American addresses the issue of hydrogen storage. The choices are (1) compressed hyrdogen, (2) liquid hydrogen (Ever see the demonstration where they dip a rose into liquid helium? Same kinda deal) (3) reversible "hydrogen metal hydrides" (they generate H+ in response to heat and a catalyst and, they need to be removed to recharge) and (4) "hydrogen adsorbents" that work like sponges (don't need to be removed to recharge but research just beginning).

Unfortunately, the full article isn't available on line without a subscription but you could find it at the library and, the graphics are very helpful in helping understand the problems involved.

- Billy Coloribus gustibus n> Even more practical would be the electric plug in vehicle.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Hmmm .... My 2 cents.

My thinking goes likes this.

I like my modern technological life. I like my computers, cars, lights, HBO and modern medical techniques. I refuse to live in a cave. Street maybe, if I keep spending the way I am :) Solar and wind energy together is too expensive for the small amount of electricity one receives. In order to get large amounts of energy one has to destroy something to get it: be it coal, nuclear, Fusion is just a dream a false hope, wood or any other agricultural source. If one (ok the world) uses agricultural sources, bread will be twenty dollars a loaf, greater starvation among the populated world.

Coal, CO2 scrubbers still leaves toxic waste in our land fills. Hydrogen, needs electricity to extract from water. Bio-mass - Agicultural, kiss all forest good-by, not just the rain forest.

If .... If and only if they can make them safe and put its waste in outer space, are the breeder nuclear reactors. "The old saying - Is anything safe? NO".

The only way to have a clean, healthy earth for everyone on this planet, IS POPULATION REDUCTION. ie: make bombs not babies (ok, ok, forget the reverse pun of the sixty's vietnam) just stop breeding like humans.

However, not sure of the future. My next truck will have an E85 engine. I have read some where that all one has to do is combine 85 gallons of ethanal with 15 gallons of regular gas. Buy a still, I have the 10 acres of land to raise corn and have 6 acres of woods (energy source for the still).

Its all about me, let the world starve. Conservation is a lost cause without population reduction. I am single with no kids. With no social life one has the time to do the things listed above.

So I agree with the original poster: Home Gardening "is" Becoming Even More Imperative.

Enjoy Life ......... Dan.

Reply to
Dan L.

Uh, nice string of pronouncements Dan. Usually it is nice if you can give them a little authority, names, places, logic based on an acceptable premise. You know, something like that would have been nice, instead of coming down the mountain with your clay tablets. (Yeah, I know, sarcastic, people have told me that.

Keep your technology but Americans presently use 25% of the worlds energy. That will change. We can look forward to a diminished way of life. Sorry Dave. (Jeeze, I sound like Hal, the computer) The alternative is to send out the troops with bayonets fixed and subjugate the world. Since we are not alone in the nuclear club, some of those suckers may not want to go down easily. How do you feel about trying to swim in the non-radioactive end of the pool?

Presently, wind, photovoltaic, and hydro power (including tides) is too little and more expensive than fossil fuel (if you don't count the social impact of global warming i.e. our extinction). Someone must have forgotten to tell the international consortium that is constructing a fusion reactor in France that Dave said it couldn't be done. Scrubbing smoke stacks with water and calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 gives you calcium carbonate and water. Chalk, Dave, chalk doesn't sound so polluting, does it?

We are already over producing food (look at you waistline) and demographics say that the population of the planet should drop to replacement levels by 2050. Western Europe has been encouraging it's citizens to have more babies because the indigenous populations are declining. Pretty much the same deal for all industrialized nations.

There is even a new nut being introduced into Africa as a crop that grows well on dry marginally useful agricultural land that is 40% oil. We can keep our forests. Need to plant more actually. Maybe you will have to do without quite so much beef. That's all.

Great way to live, with the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads. Thanks, but no. Fission can be buffed, tweaked, and polished but it is just too freaking dangerous. That argument aside, how are you going to transfer the energy down, by microwaves and fry migratory birds?

See above. Large families only make sense in in subsistence farming.

You haven't been reading this new group long, have you? Corn is grown with natural gas and petroleum. It is not efficient unless you are an oil company but not for consumers.

A Cassandra in the wilderness, wandering in a hopeless quest, fade to black, the lights come up and everybody stands and goes home. Quite a martyr syndrome you have there Dave.

You really need to lighten up there Dave. Ya know. Girls really like guys that can make them laugh.

I will. Thanks Dave. You really should read a book about this stuff some day. Life is a tight rope, but it's doable.