Firms Seek Patents on ‘Climate Ready’ Altered Crops

This makes me want to puke......these SOBs stand exposed as far as I am concerned. It has been a brilliant campaign developed over the last four decades. Bastards. Read carefully and see the developing incremental control over the worlds food. Frogs in a pot. Screw Bill Gates for multiple reasons.

Charlie

Full article at:

Seek Patents on ?Climate Ready? Altered Crops by Rick Weiss

Excerpt:

A handful of the world?s largest agricultural biotechnology companies are seeking hundreds of patents on gene-altered crops designed to withstand drought and other environmental stresses, part of a race for dominance in the potentially lucrative market for crops that can handle global warming, according to a report being released today.0513 05 1 2

Three companies ? BASF of Germany, Syngenta of Switzerland and Monsanto of St. Louis ? have filed applications to control nearly two-thirds of the climate-related gene families submitted to patent offices worldwide, according to the report by the Ottawa-based ETC Group, an activist organization that advocates for subsistence farmers.

The applications say that the new ?climate ready? genes will help crops survive drought, flooding, saltwater incursions, high temperatures and increased ultraviolet radiation ? all of which are predicted to undermine food security in coming decades.

Reply to
Charlie

In article , Charlie wrote:

GMO Opponents May Eat Their Own Words

Credit Suisse

WORLD FOOD-SUPPLY ISSUES are by now major front-page news, and that creates different political risks that will affect both sentiment and reality for agricultural-science producers. GMOs (genetically modified organisms) are the big winners, politically. We have argued that the politics of GMOs will swing dramatically, with declining anti-GMO sentiment propelled by rising food costs. That will speed GMO introduction to new regions. We see that political shift as moving much faster than may be apparent on the surface. Fertilizer producers, by contrast, may be overplaying their (very strong) hand, and are at risk of being painted as "price gougers." That alone may not swing the supply/demand balance, but it certainly could affect investor perception, and increase the risk of new government intervention on several continents. We have argued elsewhere that buyers already have good reason to consider banding together into buying consortiums -- the staggering price hikes recently announced in potash only add to that argument. The biggest losers politically, for better or for worse, are likely to be the well-meaning environmentalists. With little real science to support their perfectly valid concerns (should have done that homework after all?), they are likely to be increasingly marginalized, with public sentiment shifting to more pressing (and measurable) concerns. So politically, at least, GMO producers are on the upswing, and fertilizer producers need to be careful. But that doesn't mean its time to dump the stocks. Fundamentals are still exceptionally good for fertilizer. What the fertilizer industry may need now is a better PR team. With the pullback in the stocks, our preference for Mosaic over the others remains intact. We continue to like phosphorus more than potash (and note that it is potash that grabs the most fertilizer headlines). In the seed world, where Monsanto reigns supreme (and will continue to), there are no cheap stocks, but none worth unloading either. We do like the ag-chemical outlook, where pricing power is only now taking hold. We currently rate DuPont and Syngenta (co-covered with Rhian Tucker) Outperform.

-- Mark W. Connelly

-- Nils-Bertil Wallin

The opinions contained in Investors' Soapbox in no way represent those of Barron's Online or Dow Jones & Company, Inc. The opinions expressed are those of the newsletter's writer(s).

Reply to
Bill

As I see it, the real problem is that, like Hurricane Katrina, disasters are becoming opportunities. An analogy would be a person who over insures their home, and then burns it down to collect the insurance. If we "incentivize" disasters, what do you think we will get? A President who doesn't believe in "Global Warming" maybe? The incentives need to be placed on building community, not on it's destruction.

Reply to
Billy

Good summation. My thoughts also.

Reply to
Charlie

I agree! I don't think environmentalists are marginalized only the corporation media types want us to be. It is their job similar to the adage I was just following orders comes to mind. The current media won't ask or report on this. Our state school curriculum is of scientific sleep too. Not everyone however. I wonder if any high school student ever discusses the merits and foibles of

From the above URL

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was founded with the simple yet profound charge "to protect human health and the environment." Yet a new UCS survey of scientists at the agency reveals that challenges from industry lobbyists and some political leaders have led to the suppression and distortion of EPA scientific findings--to the detriment of both science and the health of our nation. In the report Interference at the EPA, we propose steps to ensure the integrity of future agency research."

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Every emancipation has in it the seeds of a new slavery, and every truth easily becomes a lie. I. F. Stone

Reply to
Billy

EPA - founded as "Environmental Protection Agency". Name changed some 7-1/2 years ago to "Environmental Pollution Agency".

Change back next November? Stay tuned!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone