Herbs and snails

i have the most dreadful snail problem. They are eating my basil

geranium, carrots, lettuce, spinach and marigolds. My local nurser recommended tobacco dust, which I have sprinkled but they just seem t try and find a way around it - it's driving me crazy. Any suggestion would be most appreciated

-- Lee-Ann

Reply to
Lee-Ann

I don't know if it's available in the UK, but I've used Sluggo, an iron phosphate based product, against slugs and it's worked very well.

Here's a site with some information, but you can google up plenty of others.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

If you don't want to use any poison snail baits, dishes of beer have worked well for us here. They seem to prefer the dark ale the most. ;-)

Try planting a few pennyroyal plants around as well. Once those get established it helps also.

Kat

Reply to
Katra

Tobacco dust sounds like it could be poisonous to some creatures. Commercial preparations using iron phosphate are available, and have been very effective for me. Sluggo is one, I use Escar-Go from Gardens Alive!

-- Mr Gardener

-- Zone 5 - On The Maine Coast

Reply to
Mr Gardener

I agree that Beer works well. Place shallow trays (about 1- 2 cm) with vertical sides in the garden and fill with beer. Pick the dead ones out or pour them out and refill every few days. Drink what will not fit in the trays.

I have also had good luck with Diatomaceous Earth. It works well here during the dry season. It must be replaced after each rain, so I don't use it as often in the spring.

Rich McKinney

Reply to
Rich McKinney