Growing peanuts

Anyone have experience growing peanuts? How should I plant them? How much room do they need? How long does it take to harvest? Are peanuts perennial like asparagus, or do I have to plant every year? I have a plot in sunny south Louisiana. Also what kind of yield should I expect per plant? Thanks for any info, elizabeth

See URL

We treated then like annuals.

We grew them for a few seasons and let them go. Attractive plant that could be worked into a floral garden. 10 inches high 8 inches wide here. Our yield was minor most likely due to too much shade. I'd go for it.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut>
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

No foreign intervention unless tyranny at home.

Plant them somewhat like peas. Allow about 8 inches between plants. Once the plants begin blooming (pretty yellow pea-like blossom) the ground around them must be well loosened. The blossoms once pollinated begin "pegging". The blossom stem elongates and buries the blossom. Peanuts require 120 warm days to ripen and are an annual. You should do well in South LA. I'm not really in peanut country, so don't know about the real yield. I get 4- 8 ounces per plant. For me they're more of a novelty plant and to show the grandkids where their food comes from. Steve