Germinating squash seeds

Some time ago, I posted asking for advice on how to germinate squash seeds. I followed the suggestion of soaking the seeds in a solution of seaweed extract and water. It has been a week, the seeds have swelled up, but no germination yet.
I looked at a peat pot with some jiffy mix and a seed that has been sitting around for about month. I have neglected it of late because of the seeds' refusal to germinate. It was almost dried up. To my surprise, it germinated. I transferred the pot into my hydroponic grower.
So, do I have to stress the seed with low moisture after soaking? Does the seed have to be kept above room temperature? What is the secret? I see squash plants for sale all the time.
Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

I usually just stick them in the ground after the last frost. No special method. That always works for me.

Amen.

My references say it takes 7 to 10 days for summer squash to germinate. Longer if it is cool.
--
Susan N.

Yeah - mine took about a week in water and in earth..
Yanno - water is water - that's really the biggest on-switch. The seed has the nutrition it needs to sprout - so extra nutrition wouldn't nesecarily help until the seed has a root - or the beginning one.
I could be wrong, tho.
Temperature is a big factor. If the dirt is too cold, they wont sprout, or will take longer to do it. Watermelons are another one that can be aggravating. Some of them need 70 F and to be kept moist to do any good.
Dwayne

On 5/16/06 5:54 PM, in article b70c5$446a744d$cee617c4$ snipped-for-privacy@st-tel.net,

Do you know what will happen if the temperature drops to the low 60 deg F even though temperature reaches 70F during the day?
Bill -- Ferme le Bush
No, but I assume it stops the germination or at least sets it back a few days.
Dwayne