Eggplant: Inbreeder or Outbreeder?

I have been getting conflicting information from various books about whether or not eggplants are self fruitful. Some say that insects are required for pollination and therefore much crossing among cultivars is inevitable; others say the opposite and that you don't need to remove floating row covers when the plants flower.
I want to make some crosses among eggplant varieties this year and need to know for sure whether I must hand pollinate them or not. I'd prefer to just plant the varieties quite close together and let the bugs do the work for me though.
Where do I find authoritative information about this?
Thanks,
John

This US government site might fill the bill:
http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/book/chap6/eggplant.html .
You will not like the answer. It is in the paragraph "Inflorescence".