Crop Rotation for Pumpkins

I cleared an area last year for pumpkins and winter squash and got a good c rop out of it. I'm using it for the same crops this year and they're doing well so far. Would it be ok to plant the same there next year? I till in a lot of compost each year before planting and fertilize the area but I'm wor ried about bugs or disease if I keep planting the same thing over and over.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Looks okay to me Paul, as long as you get the compost in. Those two don't eat all the goodies out of the earth like corn and other crops do.

Reply to
George Shirley

i would try to put the compost down deeper in more concentrated areas and plant into those.

if you have a diverse area around it perhaps the bugs won't be a problem. at the end of the season bury what you can rake up and plant a cover crop. turn that under in the early spring, plant when the ground gets warm enough.

next season put the holes in different locations.

we've rotate planted. they seem to really like the piles of stuff i've buried and getting plenty of water.

we have the kinds of squish that run all over the place and some are already 20ft.

songbird

Reply to
songbird