Pumpkins

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I've grown a pumpkin, by mistake really, but hav watched it grow through the summer. I don't know when to harvest i though! The plant now looks quite dead and withered, but the pumpki hasn't changed colour from green. What do I do?

Thanks

-- Shell

Reply to
Shell

If the vine is really dead, there's not much reason to leave it out there. Go ahead an cut it from the vine. If the pumpkin is mature enough to be good and solid, it should color up pretty soon.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for that Steve, the pumpkin is solid, so I'll cut it off now and see what happens

-- Shell

Reply to
Shell

This is an edible pumpkin is it?

Almost all pumpkins grown in Australia have green skins. Provided the plant looks dead, harvest it. If you want to keep it for a time, make sure you cut or break the little stalk at least 5 or 6 inches away from the pumpkin so that a good length remains attached to the pumpkin. Most likely you will be able to slice and cook it skin and all, it is usually quite tender on homegrown ones.

I think those in the USA know edible pumpkins as "winter squash".

Reply to
John Savage

Hi All, some pumpkins do not change colour even when fully ripe. Crown Prince is one such pumpkin.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
Richard Watkin