Coffee is a good source of nitrogen?

I was just sitting here thinking that coffee grounds are a good source of nitrogen. At least that is what I have read and believe. So then the question arises in my mind...how/when/what/why? Or is it where? No, I think-Why? Is it a good source of nitrogen before or after the cup? Is it a good source of nitrogen composted? Will I get a good supply of nitrogen by throwing it on my garden? Who says coffee is a good source of nitrogen? Any ideas out there? Bill
I cant answer any of your questions, but I have used it on my garden. I do know that if you put it on too thick, it gets moldy. I also know that earth worms and night crawlers love it (I have kept them alive over the winter in my frig by adding 1/2 teaspoon to the pint worm container every 3rd day.
I have been told that it lowers your pH of the soil, but I think you would have to add a lot to accomplish that. In some areas you may not want to lower the pH.
I would let it dry out and then sprinkle it onto the garden area, or you could save a lot of it and add it in the spring when you are preparing the soil for planting.
Let us know.
Dwayne

Bill said:

Well, used coffee grounds have a carbon-to-nitrogen ratio of 20-1, which makes it a 'green' element in composting.
Nutrient analysis and other info from Starbucks:
http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/compost.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1