Chew on This, Rosen....and the Rest of You ChemicalHeads

Chew on this Rosen, if you can stomach the taste. Same for the rest of you ChemicalHeads.

from article above:

Anuradha Mittal, director of the U.S.-based policy think tank Oakland Institute, says the findings of the latest UNEP study have to be seen in the light of its report released last year which offered evidence that organic agriculture can increase yields, improve soil, and boost incomes of farmers.

A crisis of this proportion raises major questions about industrial agriculture and how best to address the needs of the hungry, she said.

***** Note the next paragraph, Mr. Rosen!! *****

"Unfortunately, the widespread hunger and poverty is being used to make the case for increasing agricultural production through technical solutions such as genetically engineered (GE) crops and chemical-based agriculture," Mittal told IPS.

However, UNEP's research demonstrates that organic small-scale agriculture can deliver the increased yields without the environmental and social damage that has resulted from industrial model of agriculture.

"We need to pay heed to these findings and start crafting a different vision for agriculture which works with nature and not against it," said Mittal, an international expert on issues relating to trade, development and agriculture.

A briefing paper by the Oakland Institute released Tuesday also confirms the success of the organic model, noting that on average, in developed countries, organic systems produce 92 percent of the yield produced by conventional agriculture. In developing countries, organic systems fare even better, producing 80 percent more than conventional farms.

also:

The major findings of the study include:

  • The 100-year trend of falling food prices may be at an end, and food prices may increase by 30-50 percent within decades, with critical impacts for those living in extreme poverty who spend up to
90 percent of their income on food. * Up to 25 percent of the world's food production may be lost due to 'environmental breakdowns' by 2050 unless action is taken. Already, cereal yields have stagnated worldwide and fish catches are declining. * Today, over one third of the world's cereals are being used as animal feed, rising to 50 percent by 2050. Continuing to feed cereals to growing numbers of livestock will aggravate poverty and environmental degradation. * The amount of fish bycatch currently discarded at sea -- estimated at 30 million tonnes annually -- could alone sustain more than a 50 percent increase in fish farming and aquaculture production, which is needed to maintain per capita fish consumption at current levels by 2050 without increasing pressure on an already stressed marine environment. * Losses and food waste in the United States could be as high as 40-50 percent, according to some recent estimates. Up to one quarter of all fresh fruits and vegetables in the U.S. is lost between the field and the table. * In Australia, it is estimated that food waste makes up half of that country's landfill. Almost one-third of all food purchased in Britain every year is not eaten. * Food losses in the developing world are also considerable, mainly due to spoilage and pests. For instance, in Africa, the total amount of fish lost through discards, post-harvest loss and spoilage may be around 30 percent of landings.
Reply to
Charlie

Your content may be valuable but will anybody read it if you employ this sort of style?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I did :D

lets not get started on what monsanto and their chemical resistant crops do... and their seeds which don't propagate from one year to the next because of the suicide gene implanted... mmmm... healthy....

America is however doing the world at least one favour and being one big human biochemical experiment for the world. Do a search on Morgellons Disease to see an example of what we are doing to ourselves and a glimpse into what the effects of our food production is doing.

Reply to
Musio

Isn't another word for "small-scale agriculture", garden?

You forgot to mention waste at the "user" level. In the home, in the cook to order restarant, and the serve to order restaurant.

30 million tons of fish would make some gardeners happy. Native Americans used same for fertilizer.
Reply to
Dioclese

Yep.

"Waste is worse than loss. The time is coming when every person who lays claim to ability will keep the question of waste before him constantly. The scope of thrift is limitless." -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Charlie

Some will, some won't, you did. ;-)

I've been in the midst of this argument for decades, and I'm damned tired of having it and listening to proponents of chemical gardening and farming...ChemicalHeads if you will.

Seldom do I see minds being changed here, and I no longer have patience for protracted arguments and such, so chunking the occasional digital turd is a needful thing, for me.

Curmudgeonly old bastard that I am, I don't always play nicely with others.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie