Celery - Favorite recipes?

Page 2 of 2

napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you won't make it single, better find a mate.
:
: :> In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3 :> good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags. :> For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm :> going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for :> recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I :> know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...:> :> :I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts, :napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO :pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for :breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you :won't make it single, better find a mate.
Ah, a mate is on my agenda for certain!
LOs is something I'm very into. I don't cook in my microwave, I reheat!
Dan
On Mar 23, 10:46am, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Dan, Don't worry. Nobody cooks in a microwave except Barbara Kafka! Lynn in Fargo also lots of LOs.

PS: Gourmet April 2009 issue has a recipe for Sweet and Sour Celery - it is part of their Passover article, Sephardic foods, looks good!
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:35:20 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig wrote:

this piqued my interest, so i googled. the recipe is here:
<http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2009/04/sweet-and-sour-celery
your pal, blake
brooklyn1 wrote:

I'm single and there are weeks when I use two big bunches of celery, e.g. in stir - fries, salads, soups, mixed in with rice, etc...I've no problem in using it up.
--
Best
Greg

Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Celery Victor is very famous. I've never made it, but here's a recipe:
http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID781&typeID 0
--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA
Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

I use a LOT of celery in stock, but otherwise, tend to eat it raw with tuna or chicken salad.
It also works well cooked/roasted with any other veggie combo.
--
Peace! Om

<Dan> wrote:

Here is a nice recipe I translated from a book I have here.
Celery baked with bone marrow Serves 4
2 thick bunches of celery 50 g (1.8 ounces) butter 800 g (1.8 pounds) marrow bones 1 tablespoon flour 3 tablespoons freshly grated cheese 1/2 cup Madeira wine 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 teaspoons salt
Wash the celery and cut of and discard the roots. Divide the bunches into stalks and cut off and discard the green part (or use it for soup). Cut each stalk in half lengthwise, removing any stringy parts.
Butter a gratin dish and place the celery stalks in it, parallel to each other, packing them fairly tightly. Salt and pepper.
Put the marrow bones into a pot, cover with boiling water and let stand a few minutes. Remove the marrow from the bones (this will be easy now). Cut the marrow in pieces and layer them on top of the celery stalks.
Using a whisk, mix the flour with Madeira wine well, so that there are no clots. Pour over the celery. Cut the rest of the butter into bits and dot the top with butter. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes.
Victor

It was billed as the original recipe (in the Time-Life series) but turned out to have been "adapted/improved". Here is the original recipe, from Victor Hirtzler's _The Hotel St. Francis Cook Book_:
<http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/coldfusion/display.cfm?ID=hosf&PageNum42
Victor
told us...

Do you ever use celery root or celeriac?

Very often. It is a common ingredient here, available most everywhere. It is good in soups and stews, especially if not terribly overcooked. You can pure the celery root and use it "as is" or mix it with mashed potatoes. Then, there is that typical bistro dish, cleri rmoulade. Here is a recipe from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.
It is also from _Bistro Cooking_ by Patricia Wells.
Victor
Cleri Rmoulade Celery Root in Mustard Sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 2 tablespoons imported Dijon mustard or to taste 1 cup crme frache or heavy cream Salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 celery root (about 1 pound; 500 g)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, mustard, crme frache, and salt and pepper to taste; mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
2. Quarter the celery root and peel it. Grate coarsely, in a food processor or on a Mouli grater. Immediately add it to the mustard sauce and toss to coat. Season to taste. Serve as a first course. Yield: 4 to 6 servings

there that's very good that contains spelt grains. I pot-roasted a pork loin with cubed celeriac a couple of weeks ago - it's a fave recipe. I saw Jamie Oliver on the TV do a smashed potato/celeriac mix that looked interesting.
snipped-for-privacy@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

I use mayo instead of crme frache or heavy cream. Creme frach is good for tarte flammbe, but thats another story.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:25:27 -0700, Billy wrote:

Sounds good to me. A good handmade, sugarfree mayonnaise. I make that with mustard and lemon juice, but that is already in the recipe. Pepper !
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

et des cornichons, câpres, un peu de persil et estragon. It's really good.
CELERY ROOT REMOULADE
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
1/4 cup mayonnaise 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream 2 cornichons (sour gherkins), minced, or 1 tablespoon minced dill pickle 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon drained bottled capers, minced 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard a pinch dried tarragon, crumbled 2 small celery roots (about 1 1/4 pound total), peeled and cut into matchstick pieces or shredded coarse
In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, crème fraîche, cornichons, parsley, lemon juice, capers, mustard, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste until combined well.
In a large saucepan of salted boiling water cook celery root 2 minutes. Drain celery root in a sieve and refresh under cold water. Dry celery root completely. Add celery root to sauce and stir together. Chill salad until ready to serve.
Serves 2.
Gourmet January 1994
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

That would be also a good but somewhat different story, not cleri rmoulade. Here is what I posted before - and what looks more like your version:
You can also toss the grated celery root (or one cut in very thin strips) with the juice of one lemon and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Then mix together mayonnaise (preferably home-made) and mustard. Toss with the celery root and serve cool.
Victor