Celery - Favorite recipes?

In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3 good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags. For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Reply to
Anonymous

I *love* celery soup. Chop up an onion and a whole stalk (all the ribs, that is) of celery. Sautee them in butter and/or oil with salt and pepper until everything's softened. Add good chicken stock or some other cooking liquid to cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end, either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy cream.

Yumma.

Serene

Reply to
Serene Vannoy

I hit send too soon. Here are some other ideas:

1) Stuffing: Sautee onions and celery in butter; add to stale bread cubes with chicken stock, salt, pepper, and sage 2) Chicken salad (or any other kind of mayo-based salad) benefits, in my opinion, from a LARGE amount of VERY FINELY DICED celery and some finely diced sweet onion. I'm picky about that, but it comes out really well. 3) Celery roasts very well. To roast veggies, I chop them into roughly equal-sized chunks, toss all of them in a little olive oil and salt, spread them out in one layer on a baking sheet lined with something (foil, parchment, silicone, whatever) and bake at 400F, turning every 15-20 minutes or so, until the edges are all caramelized. My favorite combo is potatoes, beets, carrots, and onions, but celery is a lovely addition to that.

Serene

Reply to
Serene Vannoy

Got a chance to try out this nifty thing.

Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the pantry.

Reply to
Bill

I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts, napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you won't make it single, better find a mate.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Celery Victor is very famous. I've never made it, but here's a recipe:

Dan Abel

I use a LOT of celery in stock, but otherwise, tend to eat it raw with tuna or chicken salad.

It also works well cooked/roasted with any other veggie combo.

Reply to
Omelet

Here is a nice recipe I translated from a book I have here.

Celery baked with bone marrow Serves 4

2 thick bunches of celery 50 g (1.8 ounces) butter 800 g (1.8 pounds) marrow bones 1 tablespoon flour 3 tablespoons freshly grated cheese 1/2 cup Madeira wine 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 teaspoons salt

Wash the celery and cut of and discard the roots. Divide the bunches into stalks and cut off and discard the green part (or use it for soup). Cut each stalk in half lengthwise, removing any stringy parts.

Butter a gratin dish and place the celery stalks in it, parallel to each other, packing them fairly tightly. Salt and pepper.

Put the marrow bones into a pot, cover with boiling water and let stand a few minutes. Remove the marrow from the bones (this will be easy now). Cut the marrow in pieces and layer them on top of the celery stalks.

Using a whisk, mix the flour with Madeira wine well, so that there are no clots. Pour over the celery. Cut the rest of the butter into bits and dot the top with butter. Sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes.

Victor

Reply to
Victor Sack

That sounds delicious! Thanks.

Reply to
Cheryl

Reply to
Granby

(snip)

Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

I'm not Serene, but that's what I use in all my cream soups. I freeze them and they reheat well with some stirring. I always have evap. milk in my pantry and don't often by cream....Sharon

Reply to
biig

Using half and half will be fine but with evap the result won't taste anything like had you used cream... in fact you'll probably shit can it.

Reply to
brooklyn1

:>

:I can use an entire bunch of celery in a stir fry... onions, bean sprouts, :napa, garlic, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, lotta gloppy sauce, LO :pork/chicken... think chow mein.... n' fly lice. Even better cold for :breakfast... if you say you don't eat cold from the fridge LOs then you :won't make it single, better find a mate.

Ah, a mate is on my agenda for certain!

LOs is something I'm very into. I don't cook in my microwave, I reheat!

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

:In article , : Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote: : :> In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3 :> good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags. :> For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm :> going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for :> recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I :> know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA... :> :> Dan :> :> Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net : : Got a chance to try out this nifty thing. : : : :Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the :pantry.

Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads, but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all before it rots will be a challenge.

Many useful ideas in this thread already, thanks! Will try that soup recipe. I checked out Joy of Cooking some time ago but wasn't keen on what they had. Myself (for the soup) I'll probably use nonfat dry milk instead of cream or 1/2 & 1/2. I declared war on cholesterol a few months ago with much success. Want to hold the fort. I've eaten almost no butterfat since.

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous

I'm single and there are weeks when I use two big bunches of celery, e.g. in stir - fries, salads, soups, mixed in with rice, etc...I've no problem in using it up.

Reply to
Gregory Morrow

Don't need any stinkin' JOC... celery is excellent in Ramen.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Huh? What could be richer tasting than cream itself?

Reply to
Goomba

Right, evap adds no extra butterfat... but it does add a caramelized flavor that is acceptible in confections and some sweet dishes but can be off tasting in savory dishes. I would be loathe to use evap in any cream-of soup, especially celery.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Not much. :-) I use evaporated milk for its lower saturated fat content, 1.5g/fl oz v. 7g/fl oz for heavy whipping cream

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'