Celery - Favorite recipes?

Page 1 of 2
In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3 good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags. For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA...
Dan
Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I *love* celery soup. Chop up an onion and a whole stalk (all the ribs, that is) of celery. Sautee them in butter and/or oil with salt and pepper until everything's softened. Add good chicken stock or some other cooking liquid to cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary to keep them covered. At the end, either puree or don't, depending on your preference, and then add heavy cream.
Yumma.
Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

That sounds delicious! Thanks.
If you have more left over, you can chop it, freeze in one cup baggies and use in cooking later. Will be soft but flavor will still be there.

(snip)
Have you ever used half and half or evaporated milk instead of the heavy cream, Serene? I'm thinking I'll try evaporated milk to add richness.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie

I'm not Serene, but that's what I use in all my cream soups. I freeze them and they reheat well with some stirring. I always have evap. milk in my pantry and don't often by cream....Sharon

Using half and half will be fine but with evap the result won't taste anything like had you used cream... in fact you'll probably shit can it.
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Huh? What could be richer tasting than cream itself?

Right, evap adds no extra butterfat... but it does add a caramelized flavor that is acceptible in confections and some sweet dishes but can be off tasting in savory dishes. I would be loathe to use evap in any cream-of soup, especially celery.

Not much. :-) I use evaporated milk for its lower saturated fat content, 1.5g/fl oz v. 7g/fl oz for heavy whipping cream
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Yep, and I've also used whole or nonfat milk, soymilk, rice milk, water with leftover mashed potatoes mixed in...
Soup, in my house, uses what it can without sacrificing flavor.
Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

Nothing wrong with subbing H&H, although it won't be as rich. Evaporated milk is just nasty. It's canned milk.

--Bryan
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I hit send too soon. Here are some other ideas:
1) Stuffing: Sautee onions and celery in butter; add to stale bread cubes with chicken stock, salt, pepper, and sage
2) Chicken salad (or any other kind of mayo-based salad) benefits, in my opinion, from a LARGE amount of VERY FINELY DICED celery and some finely diced sweet onion. I'm picky about that, but it comes out really well.
3) Celery roasts very well. To roast veggies, I chop them into roughly equal-sized chunks, toss all of them in a little olive oil and salt, spread them out in one layer on a baking sheet lined with something (foil, parchment, silicone, whatever) and bake at 400F, turning every 15-20 minutes or so, until the edges are all caramelized. My favorite combo is potatoes, beets, carrots, and onions, but celery is a lovely addition to that.
Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com
Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Got a chance to try out this nifty thing.
<http://lmgtfy.com/?q lery+recipes>
Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the pantry.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

: Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote: : :> In order to plant my kabocha pumpkins a few days ago I had to dig up 3 :> good sized celery plants and they're in my refrigerator in plastic bags. :> For me living alone, that's a lot of celery! Keeps well, but even so I'm :> going to need ideas or most of it will go bad. I need good ideas for :> recipes including celery. Celery sticks, celery with peanut butter I :> know about. Maybe some soups? What do you like? TIA... :> :> Dan :> :> Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net : : Got a chance to try out this nifty thing. : :<http://lmgtfy.com/?q lery+recipes> : :Bill who enjoys celery in tuna fish salad. Celery Seed a must in the :pantry.
Yeah, I have been adding chopped celery to my tuna and chicken salads, but I counted and see I have 4 stalks, not 3 in the fridge. Using it all before it rots will be a challenge.
Many useful ideas in this thread already, thanks! Will try that soup recipe. I checked out Joy of Cooking some time ago but wasn't keen on what they had. Myself (for the soup) I'll probably use nonfat dry milk instead of cream or 1/2 & 1/2. I declared war on cholesterol a few months ago with much success. Want to hold the fort. I've eaten almost no butterfat since.
Dan

Don't need any stinkin' JOC... celery is excellent in Ramen.
Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

It keeps a long time. I keep mine in my fridge vegetable drawer in an open-end plastic bag.

Land O'Lakes makes a non-fat half and half. Laden with chemicals, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - pot pie
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Wrapped in foil seems to help celery stay fresh longer. I read it then tired it and found it certainly worked for me.
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:14:59 -0400, Goomba wrote:

that's what i've been doing of late - wrapping in foil and then putting in a somewhat large open bag. probably someone here mentioned it.
your pal, blake
blake murphy wrote:

Heh, just what I do, prior to tossing it in the trash:)
O, not a celery lover.