Can Photosynthesis be enhanced?

I once tried using red plastic as a means to give the crops more useful light. That was in my Dad's garden now gone. So I am stuck with much shade and a oak scorch disease so I am very reluctant to take out healthy trees.

So groping for a way to deal with lack of sun was wondering would a mirror convey the full spectrum for my plants? Or must I cut till the plants say OK? Son broke a large mirror that I have held onto hoping for a use.

It is not that I have not looked about but I favor natural /cheap stuff.

Bill who putters

Something here:

That was in my Dad's garden now gone. So I am stuck with much

Metalized mylar might be a thought, very cheap. Stretch it on a frame, probably cut some flaps to cut wind loading. Or just cut in strips so wind can blow through.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Reply to
Billy

Thanks Jeff and Billy.

I still think the shading trees must be culled.

I'll do this in small increments striving to get stuff and let other stuff live. I am constrained by a neighbor that does not have a clue and my brothers on the left. I can talk my brother into a possible remedy but I sort of feel even with the "great dimming light " issue it will be most likely I can grow mostly greens. Such is life but I do have Tomatoes and Jumbo beans on the verge of entering my body. Lots of Thyme and mint but I really miss the sun in some fundamental way.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Any chance of going vertical to get more light? Either vines (pole beans, or climbing zucchini (), keyhole gardens, or hanging pots?

Reply to
Billy

In a way the tomatoes now about 4 foot vertical and beans 2 foot vertical are trying for more light on their own. Saw the site and may try some of the squash written about. My patty pans seen like the best solution is to cascade out of the bed going for surface area. Taking out a Mangolia this fall and one or two oaks. One is close to the house but shade gardening was my forte but sun rules with edibles and I do like fresh picked and I want I want I want.

God maybe I'll spray my plants with D3 KIDDING.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Aww, man.... You've got the super king of tree-huggers, here. I can't claim any credit for it, but my bio-son in MA is upper-muckity organized "druid" tree-hugger. I'm talking dancing by the light of the moon and stuff, man; but, I digress. Still, particularly if you're going to live and garden for a while longer, you goddadoo watcha goddadoo.... If your trees are big enough to require a professional, you might consult one about thinning the trees' crowns. I have seen this done in some great oaks in "tidewater" VA in order to remove ice storm damage. The resultant increase in light levels allowed homeowner (my BIL) to restore a portions of his lawn and garden. As I take yours to be, his entire yard was shady so "sunny" was a relative term.

Reply to
balvenieman