can I transplant a bean plant?

ok well I decided to entertain my kids by putting some wet paper towe

in a jar and put a bean on it so it would grow and well this bean i going crazy lol, its wrapping its roots around the paper towel and i growing right out of the jar. Now would this bean plant survive if planted it in the garden? If I can plant it, should I unwrap its root from the paper towel or should I just put the paper towel in the groun along with the roots seeing as it seems to not be doing any harm to ou little guy? I think my son would be quite upset if I just had to let i die as he is getting quite attatched to it LMAO..

-- Witchy Mama

Reply to
Witchy Mama

Sure, put it in the garden, it should do fine. I don't think you need to unwrap the roots from the paper towel, as that will probably do more harm than good.

Reply to
Al Reid

I do it fairly often with pole beans. Our growing season is too short for pole beans to be productive by direct seeding. and I can gain about one extra month by starting the seeds indoors. Try not to break the radicle when transplanting. Olin

Reply to
omi

Hi Witchy,

What kind of bean you got? I am living in mid Wales in UK and where do you live? It is because here we can overwinter hardy broad bean but we should not plant French bean or runner bean out before May. Besides, we need to hardening off the plants before we plant them outdoor if they are raised indoor. I will put the plant with the kitchen towel into a pot with compost and start hardening off if the weather allowed.

Hope it can help.

With regards, CK from Aberystwyth

Reply to
CK

um its blue lake or something like that (I know it has blue in i LMAO), and I am in australia but we don't really have a winter where am so alot of people will grow out of season, I figured it wouldn' hurt to try getting it to grow, its not like I am relying on it to fee us lol..

-- Witchy Mama

Reply to
Witchy Mama

Many years ago, I lost two pots of fully grown indoor bushy tomatoes in three days as I needed to leave them in an exposed garden when I moved.

Bean plant would like to have a sunny place to grow but if the root system is not established, it cannot not take water fast enough under the sun and strong wind.

As a teacher before, I always compare the growing of plants with bringing up of kids, an indoor or greenhouse environment providing them a safe environment to start with. However, there should be a process of hardening off before we let the protected plants to expose to outdoor environment.

If plants have been sown outdoor starting from the beginning, they will germinate and grow slower first, so they have stronger stems and more developed root systems to deal with the wind, pest, sun, drought, etc.

With regards, CK

Reply to
CK