Best place to buy ladybugs

Page 1 of 3
I would like some ladybugs for my SMALL garden. 9foot by 5 foot. I have ants, so I assume aphids. Where is the best place online to by a small qty of them.
Any tips for keeping them around?

Careful. I don't know the whole story, but someone brought in ladybugs into this area a few years ago. Now they are everywhere and do like to come in when the weather cools.
--
Susan N.

I'm pretty sure those are those orangey ladybugs, and not the bright red ones. I think they are Asian beetles. I'm pretty sure regular ladybug are fine.

Sam wrote:

The only problem, in my area anyway, was when the orange lady bugs appeared by the thousands in the yard as well as in the house, I haven't seen a red lady bug since. That was 5 or 6 years ago.
Tom J
In article

I brought in a couple of hundred here and never had a problem. The seem to like to pupate in my asparagus patch.
--
Peace! Om

But I'll bet you have few garden pests! <g> They eat aphids, scale, mealy bug and other things. Another good predator are lacewing larvae. I got rid of a persistant scale infection on the succulents in my greehouse using those...
--
Peace! Om

I remember my ex-husband releasing them in our large vegetable garden years ago. At least 90% were gone the next day. A few days later we didn't find any. Same thing with praying mantis he bought. We never ordered any more beneficials.

How wet do you keep the yard?
I'm sorry you had bad luck. It worked very well for me!
I did, however, have a similar experince with a mantis casing. I found a few the next year but the trouble with those is that they are cannibals.
--
Peace! Om

I don't know how to answer that. A wet yard? You mean watering? We watered as needed by the plants at the time.

Well, I have more geckos if the yard is kept moist in at least some areas. I have to save money on water but if some areas are never totally dry, it appears to attract and keep more beneficial critters such as geckos, toads and predatory insects.
--
Peace! Om

IIRC, predator species need water sources.

You have to have adequate numbers of prey around to keep any predator happy.
No prey equals no predators.
A neighbour of ours bought a package of ladybugs once.
They all flew across the street to a less kempt lot.
The only predators I bring home are the ones I find in weird locales, like the preying mantis I found clinging to a bank downtown.

Where I live now we have natural predators and see lady bugs and mantis all the time. Nonetheless I just saw some aphids on one of the tomato plants at sundown.

Aphids on tomatoes? Really? I've never seen that. They seem to hang out mostly on the muscadine grapevines I use as a privacy fence, and they can have those. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Yes, they're aphids. There were a few ladybugs among them so left them alone. There aren't enough to do damage. And I also noticed more damage from the neighbors RoundUp spraying. The pepper plants have deformed centers and the small Okra are losing their oldest leaves. It's very discouraging. It looks like he sprayed around his garden patch which is only about 40' from ours. :( I hope he doesn't do the weedy patch even closer to our garden. We'll have nothing left healthy.

Have you talked to him about it?
If you have a fence, placing a sheet of clear plastic over it might not hurt, to prevent spray drift.
--
Peace! Om

I was thinking the SAME THING! I think plastic would work. The prevailing breeze comes from their property, to our west. There is a 4' field fence between us. I haven't said anything to him. I dread making enemies of neighbors. You never know how they'll take things.

I know what you mean...
--
Peace! Om

In article

Okay, so nobody else answered your question... I've seen them for sale in various garden catalogues and I don't think it seems to matter. I bought some beneficial nematodes at random and have had very few fleas since!
Let's try google:
http://tinyurl.com/5e5quo
Look thru the sites the search turned up and just choose the best price with a LIVE DELIVERY guarantee. :-)
I got lucky and got mine for free. I went out to the employee parking lot one night and evidently they were migrating! They were all over the cars under the lights.
I spend two hours gathering as many as I could find...
--
Peace! Om

How does one gather ladybugs?
Persephone