Best place to buy radiators

Looking to replace my radiators soon, checked out prices @ Screwfix & Wickes, Wickes were cheaper.

Any better deals around?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Go to somewhere like Plumbcenter and use your negotiating skills to buy a decent product such as Myson. Plumbcenter have an own brand version in slightly different sizes made by Myson.

I suppose that you will need new valves, so I would look at Pegler Terrier for the lockshields since they have an inboard drain c*ck. For TRVs, then the ubiquitous TRV4s.

This lot should give you a good price discussion position.

Reply to
Andy Hall

=================================== Most (all?) Wickes' own brand radiators have welded-in bleed valves which can be a problem as they can't be replaced. Screwfix radiators have the more conventional screw-in / removable bleed valves. I've got a mix of both types (for the last 10 years or so) and there's no obvious deterioration in either but I would suggest that the Screwfix type are preferable for the presence of a removable valve.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The removable plug is an additional possible source of leaks.

OTOH, radiators without upper removable plugs can only be fed from the lower entry positions, if that matters.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Decide what you want, and then check out

I recently bought a large Stelrad radiator from them - at quite a low price, and free delivery. It was *actually* supplied and delivered to me by my local Plumbcenter - but was much cheaper than I could have got by going directly to them.

As Andy H has suggested, you will probably want to replace the valves at the same time. If you want Drayton TRV4s, several places on Ebay sell them at way below the inflated list price which you might pay elsewhere. I got all mine from Ebay (on a fixed price 'Buy it Now' basis rather than having to bid in an auction).

Reply to
Roger Mills

The Wickes ones are actually Quinn (used to be Barlo) roundtop rads. They do them cheaper than any of my trade accounts can do them, so it's a good brand at a very good price. Sizes are a bit limited, but we tend to get most of them from there and pick up the odd extra in a different size from a more expensive supplier. Wickes online are on Quidco too.

I use them because I much prefer the roundtop to the compact that are most common now, with the cheap plastic grilles. I also prefer not having the top tappings.

auctions