Anybody pick baby pumpkins for use as summer squash?

I'm thinking about planting a hill or two of cushaws this year instead of zucchinis. I've never grown them before and I have a packet of seeds that I bought last year mocking me... They are supposed to be prolific, and I don't need that many pumpkins.

I seem to recall Ma making a mock apple pie in _Little House on the Prairie_ using a green pumpkin :-)

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Marrows and squash are generally eaten quite immature but in my view pumpkins need to ripen to be tasty. Try it, you won't poison yourself, but I don't think you will like it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

:> I seem to recall Ma making a mock apple pie in _Little House on the :> Prairie_ using a green pumpkin :-) :>

:> Thanks, :> Bob : :Marrows and squash are generally eaten quite immature but in my view pumpkins :need to ripen to be tasty. Try it, you won't poison yourself, but I don't :think you will like it. : :David

They look very like zuchini when very young and there's no reason you can't use them like zuchini. Even the plants resemble zuchini. The first pumpkins I grew, I took for zuchini until I realized that the fruits weren't going to be long and skinny. I didn't realize that they were pumpkins (volunteers) until told. Now I grow them every year. I switched to kabochas (Japanese pumpkins) when I got a volunteer of those. They are smaller and not as prolific, but much more tasty, far better tolerant of cool weather, and over-winter far far better. In fact, I have 5 or so left from last summer! Meantime, my present crop is sending up female flowers, and as usually happens, there are no male flowers around to pollinate the first females.

Dan

Reply to
Anonymous