Anybody fiddleheading?

Here in northern Maine the fiddleheads are just sprouting.
Picked enough for 2 meals the other evening near the swamp. The larger ones were about 1" in dia. or slightly larger. I've been told they're more tender than the larger ones.
Anyone else picking fiddleheads? When does the season start and end where you live? How do you eat them plain, with vinegar? How do you get the paper off?
Jim Maine
JK wrote:

apparently not

My neighbor is eating fiddleheads at least twice a day right now.
I haven't been out into the woods to pick them yet, but we have oodles growing on our place.
Any cooking tips you want to share? We just steam them...
Jan, in Alaska
--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.

What's a fiddlehead? Is this something we know by a different name in UK?
Steve

It's the very young sprout of a fern. Certain varieties are not only edible, but delectable.
--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.