Antique Apple Varieties

Does anyone have descriptive information about these antique apple varieties, especially the approximate riping date?

Edelroter Edelter Edward's Fine Winter Kings Acre Pippen Magic Mendocino Cox Pine Princess Red Fresno Winter Tiroler Spitzlederer Upton Pyne

Thanks,

Baumgrenze

Reply to
baumgrenze

If you are located in North America, you may have trouble finding anyone who sells these apple trees. My inventory book does not list any of them. Are these apples available in Europe? I found some sparse references to some of them by searching the web. Edelroter was rated as being a very vigorous grower. Mendicino Cox is a sport of Cox's Orange Pippen, which I grow. It's England's favorite apple and rippens from mid-Sept. to mid-Oct. Others are mentioned, but with no descriptions.

A club in California seemed to pop up a lot with these apples in a publication called 'The Fruit Leaf'. Their web address is:

'm curious where you heard about these apples, and why you are interested in them.

Sherwin D.

baumgrenze wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu

May I add an apple that I have looked for for maybe forty five years? It was called a Virginia beauty apple. My grand parents had one in their yard in the mid forties. In Virginia. I have never tasted a better tasting sweet ( very ) apple in my life. Sad to say , I have never seen another one. Have ask anywhere they have fruit trees if they know where I might get one. Never have heard of a place to buy one .Would you know where they can be purchased? hugs , kate

Reply to
Kate

Another problem is that the names could have been a local thing. I have seeds to a watermelon that has been called the Prince Albert for over 40 years. The only thing anyone could remember was that they believe it came from France. The reason it was named Prince Albert, is because the man who got the seeds 40 years ago, got them in a Prince Albert can and the name stuck.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Hi Kate, You are in better luck than Baumgrenze, as there are several suppliers who can provide you with a Virginia Beauty. I don't know where you are located, but chances are you are not nearby any of them, but you can order by mail order. Try these:

Calhoun's Nursery, 295 Blacktwig Road, Pittsboro NC 27312 (free catalog)

Classical Fruits, 8831 AL Highway 157, Moulton, AL 35650 (free catalog)

Lawson's Nursery, 2730 Yellow Creek Road, Ball Ground, GA 30107 (free catalog)

White Oak Nursery, 494 White Oak Road, Strasburg, PA 17579 (free catalog)

Virginia Beauty is a chance seedling found on a Virginia farm in 1826. It is described as very crisp and a good keeper, rippening in mid-October. It is a very large deep red fruit similar to a Jonathan but brighter red and globe-shaped.

I'm sure one of these suppliers will have the tree you want.

Sherw> sherw> > If you are located in North America, you may have trouble finding anyone who sells

Reply to
sherwindu

Sherwin,

I am in Palo Alto, CA and belong to the Santa Clara Valley chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG). I obtained scion wood for these varieties at our annual scion exchange. Some I took on the basis of the name alone. In addition to searching for them on the web with the German, French, and Italian equivalents of apple, I also own the last 2 editions of the Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory (Seed Savers Exch.) and Walter Hartmann's "Farbatlas Alte Obst Sorten." They are among ~140 varieties whip grafted onto a dwarf apple tree in my back yard. I was updating my 'database' which allows me to remember 'who's who' and adding an approximate harvest time so that I can go beyond 'windfall' as a harvesting guideline. I also have a pear and a cherry, but with fewer varieties.

Thanks,

Baumgrenze

Reply to
baumgrenze