583 Grams

That's how much the tomato I picked yesterday weighed. That's 1.29 pounds, for the metrically challenged. This was from a Mortgage Lifter.

Yes, I know it's not like the hugest tomato ever, but with the monsoons we've been having around here, most of my beefsteak-type tomatoes split before they get ripe. The ones that have survived the blight, that is. I've been picking a little early and letting them ripen on the counter to avoid the splitting.

I'm pretty darned pleased with this beauty. Or I was. It's gone now. Um 'scuse me.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Quoting Penelope Periwinkle:

Congratulations. What other varieties are you growing ?

Same here -- as long as they are close, I can't see that it affects the flavor any. Also, I like to try and pick prior to watering or before a rain.

Lucky you -- it's too hot here for much of anything but some cherries to set (and the odd one here and there from Arkansas Traveller).

I usually have a fairly decent Fall crop though.

Reply to
Suze

Quoting Penelope Periwinkle:

Since seeing this post, I got around to weigh my largest recent tomato. It is 493 grams. It is some kind of beefsteak variety.

Somehow, this reminds me of bragging fishermen.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

Brandywines, which aren't setting fruit right now, but the vines look ok. Druzba, whish are still popping out tennis ball sized tomatoes, but the vines are succumbing to the blight.The Peron Sprayless, which look great,haven't produced very many tomatoes.

The Black from Tula, Russian Silvery Fur Tree, and Marion have all died from the blight. The yellow current tomato that I bought is almost dead.

The yellow current tomato that came back from last year, on the other hand, is thriving, and I'm getting lots of sweet little yellow tomatoes that I eat like bonbons as I walk through the garden.

It rained almost everyday here in June and the first two weeks of July. I knew I had blight, but the fungicides were washed off as fast as I put them on. Then I left on vacation with a 12 year old in charge of watering, so naturally it didn't rain once while I was gone. Her watering skills have improved, but I still think at least one pepper plant, the Argentina, died from lack of water.

The day I got back it rained 2 inches in an hour. The next day it rained 5 inches in 2 hours. The day after that it drizzled all day.

I *knew* what tomatoes were out there were going to split, so in the house they came.

Once this wave is gone, I suspect I'll be in the same boat you are. I'm not seeing any small, green tomatoes.

I'm hopeful that at least a few of the vines will last until fall. We've had a few dry days in a row this week, and I rushed out and sprayed.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Tomato Size Wars?

Instead of the One That Got Away, will it be the One The Tomato Hornworm Got?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Reply to
bjtnccl2

My first big tomato this year was a Better Boy that weighed 252 grams. A lot smaller than yours, but still respectable -- and it was perfect; no splits, blight, BER, bug stings, nor bird pecks.

I'm usually just picking cherry tomatoes in early August and the big tomatoes don't come in until September.

Reply to
zxcvbob

-- MikeB

Reply to
MikeB

This year is not *too* bad... tomato fruit worms and da blight are terrible. But no blister beetles this year!

No prize winners, not that I weigh,

Here is what we do with the big un's:

http://128.192.110.51/gifs/misc/sauersletter/I saw a Duke's commercial on the ATL station the other night.

This is not an eating forum, but Duke's IS the best!

and for those of your who don't live in Duke's country:

last three weeks has been bite size mater sammiches, full size is TOO messy for work!

John!

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Tomato Growers Supply ships overseas, I believe, and they are one of my primary seed sources for tomatoes. They take credit cards (no messing with PayPal or other forms of payment) and you can order online.

should have most or all of the ones she mentioned, along with plenty of other quality selections.

Reply to
Suze

I'm from the UK and I don't recognised the tomatoe names you used,

would you know if they are available here?[/i][/color]

Tomato Growers Supply ships overseas, I believe, and they are one of my primary seed sources for tomatoes. They take credit cards (no messing with PayPal or other forms of payment) and you can order online.

should have most or all of the ones she mentioned, along with plenty of other quality selections.

Thanks Suze, much appreciated. Mike

-- MikeB

Reply to
MikeB