Picking crunchy banana peppers?

My banana peppers are doing great this year, and I am already to the point where I will have to pick and pickle some. When I have pickled them in the past, they tend to get soft. Any suggestions on what to add to keep the peppers crunchy?

Reply to
Chris Smolinski

Adding epsom salt will help -- about 1/2 tsp per quart jar is probably a good amount to start with. (no, that's not enough to change the taste or give you The Runs) You could also try 1/4 tsp of alum.

I soak my cucumber slices in a fairly strong solution of epsom salt before making pickles.

Also, try pouring hot brine over the peppers, seal, and then process the jars in a hot water bath for 30 minutes at 180 to 185 degrees instead of the usual 10 minutes at a rolling boil. (I think it's called the hot water pasteurization method, and it's only good for pickles)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob