Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

cucumber frustration :(
i tried growing cucumbers last yr and again this yr but got nabbed by a virus both yrs, so frustrating :(. i checked to see if they were blight resistant and virus resistant as well so it just adds to...
11
11

Sweetcorn
My children and I are growing corn and seem to be doing rather well. Roughly 10 planted and so far 5 have tassels. Our problem is they are all male, will they bear cobs if there are no females at all?
9
9

Tabasco peppers
Wait until they turn red? (they do turn, don't they?) Or pick them while still yellow-green, a week or so after they stop growing? These will be for eating fresh. At least the first one... Thanks, Bob
2
2

Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes
Touches on a few thing discussed here. Nice and concise.
20
20

got my first cucumber after 49 days!
I planted some cucumber seeds right at the end of June, and yesterday I finally decided to check to see if there were any cucumbers large enough to use. I ended up with a 3" gherkin that my son and I...
1
1

cutting back tomatoes
I've read that "... about a month before frost, cut back the growing tips of [indeterminate?] tomatoes ...", so as not to waste the plants' energy on fruits that won't have time to mature. We have...
4
4

Artificial light for outdoor tomatoes?
Our neighbors' giant maple trees continue to encroach on our view of the sky and the sunniest parts of our garden now get only about 2 or 3 hours of direct sun during the summer. With the economy the...
11
11

As crops wither in Russia's severe drought, vital plant field bank faces demolition
As crops wither in Russia's severe drought, vital plant field bank faces demolition Hearing date is Aug. 11 for Pavlovsk Fruit Collection case; Russian government called on to intervene ST....
2
2

VEGETABLE GARDEN: INTENSIVE GARDENING METHODS
Perhaps some tidbits of value. Now all i need is more light. ;)) Right now a balmy 83 F. with a dew point of 73 F. Yuck and the chiggers are about so my little toe on my left foot reminds me often.
3
3

silent spring and other random thoughts
i'm deeply thankful for the environmental movement in the USoA which has helped keep this country from being another China. i wonder if China will recover in time to be a resevoir of helpful species...

What is best to do over winter?
Hi As I eat my way through this years summer veg I am thinking about the over-wintering situation. I don't have enough space to both over winter some veg (which I would like to do), and dig in lots of...
4
4

Biochar in the news
"Initially, biochar application produced inconsistent effects. Several early samples produced greater nitrous oxide emissions and nitrate leaching than the control samples.   However, during the...
8
8

Four Fish Book
I walk away from the review thinking about the last wild food.
9
9

What do you do with your bounty?
Concerned not so much with canning, drying, etc but fresh use. I love tomato with white cheap bread and hellman's mayonnaise with salt and pepper. But the basil is ready and a simple tomato salad and...
21
21

Marechal Foch Grapes Ripening
I live about 20 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. We had record cold and snow last winter and record heat with little rain this summer, a very abnormal year for weather in every regard. When I...
1
1