Wireless Alarm System

We are thinking of putting in a DIY wireless burglar alarm and the one that looks a likely candidate is the Friedland SA3

. However there are a few things that I would like to ask about. Firstly, what do they mean by Zones. Most questions are answered on the Friedland site but that is not.

Also, my better half is concerned about the external alarm going off for no reason and disturbing neighbours, particularly if we are away at the time. How likely is that to happen? I know at one time it was quite common to hear people's alarms going off but it seems less so now.

Finally, is this one a good choice? I would not want to spend much more than that but is there a better option within that price range.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Hi To answer your questions alarms protect an Area or area's,these can each consist of a number of zones. A zone is a specific sensor under SSAIB & NACOS rules and may perform any of a number of different tasks. ( entry/exit ,panic,smoke ,fire,alarm etc.) An area is a group of zones linked together under a specific setting code. In practice take 3 flats in the same unit each flat is an area with its own access code to the alarm in the entrance hall. Inside each flat are 3 zones ; the door ,living room ,bedroom.

In domestic cases area;s are not used (often) and the control panel determines the number of zones that can be added and how they are controlled.

As for your alarm I have never fitted one but have seen them in operation .For a budget system they are ok but as a DIY system have their limitations. As posted Risco Group supply the trade with alarms and their systems are excellent with lithium batteries giving up to 3yrs life and panels all containing autodiallers (just plug into a bt line). To be fair ADE,Scantronics,Bosch and others also supply excellent radio equipment . Your choice is cost ,installation,& reliability. All modern alarms these days have very few false activations (most are customer error or installation faults) And whilst no alarm in the world will prevent you from being robbed a reliable one will deter some thieves,alert good neighbours ,give piece of mind and even call you to tell you it's been activated.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

For a monitored alarm with police response, they'll attend up to a limit of a certain number of false alarms with decreasing urgency each time. Such alarms have to be professionally fitted and serviced annually.

For any other alarm, they'll attend if there's verification from a person (keyholder, neighbour, or anyone else) that there's a burglary or other incident worthy of attending ongoing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel