Wind chimes driving me crazy!

My neighbour has wind chimes. They dingle and dong 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and are driving me nuts. I just want to enjoy my garden in peace and quiet. I can even hear them inside my house with all the windows closed. I have asked him to take them down at least some of the time but he has refused. He and his partner say they like the sound. He recently went on holiday for two weeks and just left them there. Is there anything that can be done?
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:00:11 GMT, Paul

Contact your Council about noise polution. They have a department to advise and enforce this.
Paul wrote:

Paul,
It's a 'nuisance' and as such, your local Environmental Health Department can do something about it - contact them.
Brian G
I agree with both the previous posts, but unfortunatley - most councils will see this as an acceptable level of noise as they are more bothered about loud music and other such complaints. At very best they will give you a nuisance diary to complete every time you are disturbed by noise etc, this is to meet thier requirements to show they are listening to your concerns. So if you want a little "play him at his own game" type retribution, build your own industrial size wind chime using steel bin lids and old car wings etc. It will drive you crazy for a week or two also, but I'm sure your neighbour will soon get the message (or at least you'll be in a bargaining position!)
Hi Paul

done?
Of course.
(1) Climb over the fence late one night and take the bastards away.
(2) Find something even more irritating (Status Quo tapes) and refuse his requests on the grounds that "you and you partner like the sound".
(3) Record the noise, amplify it 100% and play it back.
Dave

Oh yeah Dave...u evil man! :D
I *especially* like number 3. Real classy! ;)
Glen
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:00:11 GMT, Paul

or maby your a little over sensitive, still will give the guys at the council a good laugh, if you manage to get them to take you seriously they will arrive with the sound level meters and other gizmos but will not stay long as they will be bursting to laugh, if they do crack up laughing please dont report them because you will go straight to the top of the list on the sad old gits file. you lot should start a new group with the same name, or maby i will, topics of conversation could be endless any ideas ? 'sorry but i no longer have the box' for starters. bob
I remember a council forcing a "noisy" neighbour to remove their wind chimes because of the 24/7 noise. They deemed it was unacceptable for that length of time. J

Most councils will not do anything about this noise pollution. You must resolve the problem yourself. Try to reason with your neighbour, if that fails then you will have to consider moving house. This is just another example of our yob culture.
| My neighbour has wind chimes. They dingle and dong 24 hours a day, 365 | days a year and are driving me nuts. I just want to enjoy my garden in | peace and quiet. I can even hear them inside my house with all the | windows closed. I have asked him to take them down at least some of | the time but he has refused. He and his partner say they like the | sound. He recently went on holiday for two weeks and just left them | there. Is there anything that can be done?
This is my impression also. I tried reasoning with the neighbor but without any success. He and his partner say they 'like the sound' and besides they 'don't hear it anyway'. I can't understand if they don't hear it why they have to have it there in the first place. Council not interested because it's outside. Apparently, there are no noise restrictions for sounds coming from outside a house. Interestingly, I'm not alone. When I phoned the council, the lady I spoke to said that this was the most common source of noise complaint! There is nothing that can be done. It's not the volume of the noise but the irritating nature. It's just like a dripping tap with the added factor that's totally at random. You end up waiting for it to chime again. I think I'll reserve my place in the nearest mental asylum.

And they aren't candidates for an ASBO? Jim

I can't stand the noise from my neighbour's pumped waterfall / stream - it's certainly not loud but neither is it constant, and if I'm out viewing the stars I find it eventually gets into my consciousness, and that's the end of my viewing session.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
| >| My neighbour has wind chimes. They dingle and dong 24 hours a day, 365 | >| days a year and are driving me nuts. I just want to enjoy my garden in | >| peace and quiet. I can even hear them inside my house with all the | >| windows closed. I have asked him to take them down at least some of | >| the time but he has refused. He and his partner say they like the | >| sound. He recently went on holiday for two weeks and just left them | >| there. Is there anything that can be done? | > |

Or just kill em

A mate had similar problem with neighbours wind chimes (bamboo) and water fall water feature. Solved both discretely by wallpaper paste one late night, so he told me. Covered windchime in wallpaper paste, which then stopped jangling and put some in water fall which went much quieter. Wind chime was never replaced, but each time water feature was emptied and cleaned the water went thick again for some reason. Eventually water feature went away as. Note use kiddies wallpaper paste (ELC) as it has no preservative and goes mouldy and green and slimy quicker, so my mate says,

Thoroughly disgusting behaviour - troubleinstore
But, understandable, half a day community service.
| >> My neighbour has wind chimes. They dingle and dong 24 hours a day, 365 | >> days a year and are driving me nuts. I just want to enjoy my garden in | >> peace and quiet. I can even hear them inside my house with all the | >> windows closed. I have asked him to take them down at least some of | >> the time but he has refused. He and his partner say they like the | >> sound. He recently went on holiday for two weeks and just left them | >> there. Is there anything that can be done? | > | > A mate had similar problem with neighbours wind chimes (bamboo) and water | > fall water feature. Solved both discretely by wallpaper paste one late | > night, so he told me. Covered windchime in wallpaper paste, which then | > stopped jangling and put some in water fall which went much quieter. Wind | > chime was never replaced, but each time water feature was emptied and | > cleaned the water went thick again for some reason. Eventually water | > feature went away as. Note use kiddies wallpaper paste (ELC) as it has no | > preservative and goes mouldy and green and slimy quicker, so my mate says, | > | > | | Thoroughly disgusting behaviour | - | troubleinstore | |
A really difficult one this.............these low level irritants can so easily escalate to all out war. See what makes your neighbors tick.what type of people are they.........pig ignorant ...or reasonable types just affronted by your respnse to thier beloved chimes. Hopefully this will give you some insight into the best way forward..........The peace and love idea is good..........but beware of escalating with the wrong type of people.....it can end up with blood and guts and make life total hell
Good luck with the outcome. ..... perhaps a loud cd of pan pipes left on loud everytime you go out .....no dont go there:) Or hypnotism to make you love the sound of wind chimes?
Barry