Wastepipe from water softener advice

I am going to plumb in a salt based water softener.

I am going to connect the waste pipe from the softener to a wastepipe from a sink using a washing machine outlet kit.

The only advice I need is as follows......

Question........

Can I attach this below the u bend, or must it be above it?

My belief is that if I connect below the u bend, I will get loud glug sounds from the sink when the softener is reconditioning or whatever it is called.

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve..........

Reply to
steve

I have fitted two water softeners. I would not even consider adding the waste from the softener into a shared pipe, the waste outlet should go to its own outlet, with no possibility of back siphonage of any other waste water.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

There is a "NON RETURN VALVE" included in the washing machine outlet kit.

Surely, that should stop back syphonage?

Steve...

Reply to
steve

I totally agree. What happens if the NRV on the washing machine gets fouled and malfunctions. You all get very sick.

Should be a toally separate waste. Another option is to use a 'tun dish' i.e. discharge into a waste pipe that is opened out to form a funnel and leave the outlet of the softener with an 'air gap' so that any backflow will spill rather than enter the softener.

Reply to
Merryterry

Reply to
Ian_m

Actually, I am NOT intending to connect the softener anywhere near a washing machine.

The waste pipe in question is from a sink in a cloakroom.

There is not much room above the water line to attach a washing machine kit with non return valve. That is why I asked if I would encounter any problems by tapping into the waste pipe below the u bend.

I shall now at a spur to the waste pipe with it's own u bend.

Steve..

Reply to
steve