Wastepipe from water softener advice

I am going to plumb in a salt based water softener.
I am going to connect the waste pipe from the softener to a wastepipe from a sink using a washing machine outlet kit.
The only advice I need is as follows......
Question........
Can I attach this below the u bend, or must it be above it?
My belief is that if I connect below the u bend, I will get loud glug sounds from the sink when the softener is reconditioning or whatever it is called.
Any advice gratefully received.
Steve..........

I have fitted two water softeners. I would not even consider adding the waste from the softener into a shared pipe, the waste outlet should go to its own outlet, with no possibility of back siphonage of any other waste water.
mrcheerful
There is a "NON RETURN VALVE" included in the washing machine outlet kit.
Surely, that should stop back syphonage?
Steve...

I totally agree. What happens if the NRV on the washing machine gets fouled and malfunctions. You all get very sick.
Should be a toally separate waste. Another option is to use a 'tun dish' i.e. discharge into a waste pipe that is opened out to form a funnel and leave the outlet of the softener with an 'air gap' so that any backflow will spill rather than enter the softener.

What I did with mine was modify the washing machine waste to like below, with a swept T + 45 bend to provide another feed into the U-bend. Like below.
Ensure the water softener waste is higher than the washing machine so any reverse flow/blockage will overflow the washing machine side or go into washing machine. Also ensure both ends are higher than any sink or other traps. A mates softener had a waste made from 22mm copper fitted, couple of right angles to make a U-bend and waste pipe connected to 22mm via 22-15 reducer + compression fitting. Looked a bit odd, but a quick call to the softener technical line revealed this was OK and would even sell you a bent 22mm copper U-bend + other attachment bits.
Actually, I am NOT intending to connect the softener anywhere near a washing machine.
The waste pipe in question is from a sink in a cloakroom.
There is not much room above the water line to attach a washing machine kit with non return valve. That is why I asked if I would encounter any problems by tapping into the waste pipe below the u bend.
I shall now at a spur to the waste pipe with it's own u bend.
Steve..