Tree root through drain problem

We had a Rowan tree in our garden that I cut down some time back, but it was very near the drive were the drains run. Rodding the drains I know how far the rubber will go, and it blocks just about where the tree used to be so I'm guessing it's a root that is the problem.
The drive slopes upwards at the point where the blockage is, so it's very thick concrete. It's also a shared drive with our neighbour, so digging it up is really a last option. Anybody got any suggestions to look at what might be the problem and if it is a root deal with it without digging up the drive please?

camera, then clear remotely if possible and when clear put a liner in.
"David" wrote:

As mrcheerful wrote, it may be possible for the drain to be re-lined if a camera confirms tree roots and they can be removed via the drain. If not, the collapsed section needs digging out and replacing. If you don't want to do this your water company will do it, or contact one of the drain and pipe cleaning firms in your Yellow Pages. Do you have insurance cover for blocked drains either as part of your buildings insurance or separately with your water company? When was the property built? If before October 1938 then the drain is regarded as a public sewer and the water company is responsible for the cost of repair. After October 1938 then it is regarded as a private sewer and the property owner is responsible for repair. Do you share this drain with your neighbour? Is there another drain cover further down from where you can try reverse rodding? Good luck.

We don't share the drain with the neighbour - the drive has two separate drains. However, the property was built in 1927.
Do you have a link to this information at all please, or any places I can go to get some proof of their obligation? No doubt the water company won't be keen on obliging and I think we will need to argue the case.
Many thanks,
David
"David" wrote:

I should have typed October 1937, not 1938, I was very tired last night. I should also have asked whether your were referring to a drain or sewer, as drains are not covered by the legislation. I assumed that because the blockage was in your drive that by that point the drain and sewer will have joined and therefore the pipe would be carrying both surface rainwater and sewage, and would be regarded as a sewer. If your blocked drain carries sewage then my understanding is that the water company is responsible for the repair. Most if not all local government authorities have information about the significance of 1937 on their website. Examples include:
<http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/Living/HealthWelf.asp?url=drains> <http://www.tameside.gov.uk/corpgen2/drains.htm> <http://www.devonline.gov.uk/index/information_and_services/environmental_health/pollution/eh-pollution-drainage.htm>
Thanks for looking this up for me. As the drain carries rainwater and waste from only one property, I think it's classified as a drain, therefore it's down to me not them :(
Many thanks anyway.
"David" wrote:

If this drain carries sewage then you have nothing to lose by asking the water company whether they are liable fir repair under public health legislation since it is a pre-1937 property.