Trailer tow bar. Is there am optimum lemgth?

I have a friend who has a trailer which he finds very difficult to back with his utility vehicle which has a high tow bar position. This results in the trailer being at an angle.He is quite competent at backing with a trailer on a conventional car and he wondered if he should alter trailer to make it stand horizontal. Also is there an optimum length for the two bar? Blair

Reply to
Blair

You can get adjustable ball and socket extensions for trailer hitches, but you'd need to shop about a bit, I think. If I remember right, they are called "Rigid Hitch Extension Bars".

An optimal length for a trailer hitch, at the A Frame, is when you can put trailer and vehicle at between an 80 to 90 degree angle with each other and they still don't touch each other.

Reply to
BigWallop

The longer wheelbase the tow vehicle, the faster the trailer will turn before you can compensate .

The 4 foot square trailer we have, behind the nissan micra i can reverse it around the corner, up the drive and into the garage exactly where i want it.

Put the trailer behind my motorhome and there's no point even attempting to reverse it around a corner, it's jack knifed before you have chance to realise it's doing it,

A small car and a long trailer will enable anyone to reverse it, my dog could prolly manage that, but the larger the tow vehicle and the smaller the trailer, the more skill needed, even then it may well be impossible... where i used to work we used to chalange the artic drivers to reverse our motorcycle trailer.. not even around a corner, just keep it in a straight line when it was hitched to any of the recovery vehicles,

None of them could do it, yet they can reverse a 40 foot artic trailer around parked cars, through tight gates most people wouldent drive through forwards, up loading ramps etc, but this little trailer beat htem all.

Reply to
Gazz

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated Blair

Reply to
Blair