Toilet cister flush valve

We have a close-coupled toilet cistern in our utility room which leaks. It doesn't leak externally, just into the bowl - the cistern overfills and water leaks into the bowl via the overflow. This is of a modern type that I have had no dealings with. It is of the type that fills from the bottom with a vertical column that has a float attached. These can be replaced entirely for about 15, but as this one is only about 2 years old I was wondering if it is possible to strip these down and replace the washers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

been about two years. I had to adjust the angle of the float to stop it overflowing. Its been no trouble at all for the past two years or so. I put it down to the washer bedding in.
Have a look at the float arm where it presses the valve. Mine has a threaded adjuster, just lengthen the screw thereby pushing the float deeper into the water, it might be all it needs.
Mike
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:46:26 +0000, Farmer Giles wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the float before you look at anything else? (not meant to be facetious).
--
David

The float level is ok. That is very easy to adjust, but the problem is it is not shutting off the valve completely.
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:16:04 +0000, Farmer Giles wrote:

OK - next question is have you tried a spot of vaseline on the piston that pushes the valve closed (it worked when our cistern had a similar problem).
I also reached the conclusion at the time that it was probably easier just to get a full replacement if that didn't work as the frustration level/time outweighed the cost for me.
--
David

On 08/01/2011 17:51, David P wrote:

Reading about vaseline prompted me to mention that my cistern became hard to operate (flush button need a hard press) and I thought 'that's strange - it's all plastic. What could have happened?' So I oiled the flush mechanism with engine oil and it's fine now.
Rob Graham