Toilet cister flush valve

We have a close-coupled toilet cistern in our utility room which leaks. It doesn't leak externally, just into the bowl - the cistern overfills and water leaks into the bowl via the overflow. This is of a modern type that I have had no dealings with. It is of the type that fills from the bottom with a vertical column that has a float attached. These can be replaced entirely for about £15, but as this one is only about 2 years old I was wondering if it is possible to strip these down and replace the washers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I have one of those and after it had been in use for a while, it may have been about two years. I had to adjust the angle of the float to stop it overflowing. Its been no trouble at all for the past two years or so. I put it down to the washer bedding in.

Have a look at the float arm where it presses the valve. Mine has a threaded adjuster, just lengthen the screw thereby pushing the float deeper into the water, it might be all it needs.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Have you tried adjusting the float before you look at anything else? (not meant to be facetious).

Reply to
David P

The float level is ok. That is very easy to adjust, but the problem is it is not shutting off the valve completely.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

OK - next question is have you tried a spot of vaseline on the piston that pushes the valve closed (it worked when our cistern had a similar problem).

I also reached the conclusion at the time that it was probably easier just to get a full replacement if that didn't work as the frustration level/time outweighed the cost for me.

Reply to
David P

Reading about vaseline prompted me to mention that my cistern became hard to operate (flush button need a hard press) and I thought 'that's strange - it's all plastic. What could have happened?' So I oiled the flush mechanism with engine oil and it's fine now.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham