Three core flex instead of twin and earth cable?

I've got some new three-core flex. 2.5mm squared.
It's the sort of thing you would use for an extension lead except I've not seen any that thick before (cable is about the same diameter as my little finger).
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be used to extend my ring main but I've not seen it used for that purpose (possibly because it would be much more expensive than twin core and earth).
Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't use it please?
Thanks very much, Paul
Add pictures here
✖

sockets etc. because of the thin strands in the flex. The screw terminals of sockets (and other wiring accessories) are not designed to hold flex properly. Stray strands are always a risk.
It's also less 'self supporting' so in some places may need a lot more support than T&E.
So in principle it's OK but given the 'good workmanship' requirement of the wiring regulations you might find it difficult to get it past an inspection.
Proper T&E is very cheap.
--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
✖

up the who's done the biggest bodge competition.
Adam
Add pictures here
✖

Flexible cable is allowed for fixed wiring to the regulations; provide all the other requirements are met to BS7671. I wouldn't recommend using it however, rather use 2.5mm² PVCI cable, TW & E.
Jaymack
Add pictures here
✖

I know. Very useful for final connections to fans and boilers.

I guess you can imagine how the flex will put the willies up an inspector:)
Adam
Add pictures here
✖