Self-closing door

Most of the doors in my home swing open or closed on their own - there's no special mechanism or hinge (they're all standard), it's just the way they were hung originally.
I'd like one in particular to swing closed. What's the best way to do this - fit self-closing hinges, or rebate/pack one of the existing hinges?
Thanks, Rob
Rob wrote:

Rising butts.
Andy
Andy Champ wrote:

Replying through Andy's post as the OP doesn't appear in my newsreader (if it's posted from google or gmail it's killfiled as an anti-spam measure).
The cheapest and quickest way is is simply to undo the screws in the bottom hinge, fill the screw-holes with matchsticks or similar, pull the hinge out slightly (around an eighth or to suit) so that the door is slightly out of plumb and leaning in at the top and re-screw the bottom hinge in that postion [1].
If you want the door to open automatically - carry out the procedure to the top hinge - again pulling it out [1] (leave the bottom hinge alone).
*Note* if you use this method, you *may* have to adjust the door stops (and/or fitted draught excluders) and ease the latch receiver.
[1] If there is insufficient movement in the bottom hinge, after adjusting that, you can do the same to the top hinge - but this time, pushing into the opening.
Cash
Cash wrote:

Curious - posted from Virgin's news feed.

Many thanks - just the idea, I couldn't get my head around which hinge to move in which direction.
I had a rising butts hinge on a door in my old place - very handy for taking the door off, of all things, and handily lifted the door over the carpet. But if I can do it easily then so much the better.
Rob
Rising butts not a bad idea although they are bulky and don't look that good. There is of course the old bedsit type sprung closers (not to be recommended!) or why not consider Perko type closers? Just one word of caution though and that is to get an adjustable type that will give a soft close otherwise the door banging shut will annoy you. www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Door_Closers_and_Controls/Concealed_Door_Holders_and_Controls/
AJH wrote:

www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Door_Closers_and_Controls/Concealed_Door_Holders_and_Controls/
It wasn't the intention, but a side-effect of putting "atomic strip" brass draughtproofing around my garage courtesy door (which is of course self-closing as it goes into the house) was to damp the impact. A little tweaking of the brass, and it shuts completely without banging.
Andy
AJH wrote:

www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Products/Door_Closers_and_Controls/Concealed_Door_Holders_and_Controls/ The local University Halls of Residence where I do the maintenance one day a week has 8 blocks, each block has a main door, 4 lobby doors, 8 flat doors, 8 kitchen doors & 40 room doors - all with door closers.
Idle brain can't work out how many door closers that is, but I have become very good at adjusting the buggers :-)
Similar tho these http://tinyurl.com/cefdh5
In general there are two screw adjusters, one controls the primary door 'swing' and the other controls the 'pause & close'. The trick is to adjust the 'swing' so there isn't too much resistance when opening the door, but it gets to the 'pause & close' point easily. Then adjust the 'pause & close' screw so it shuts firmly - so that it closes the door without it banging. AJH is right, door closers that slam shut too quickly will drive you mad.
For reasons I can't work out, unscrewing the adjuster on either increases the pressure/speed.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

requirements.