Re-varnishing a Ceiling?

I have a varnished pine ceiling, approx 20 years old, which I would like to clean before applying another coat, it is all in good nick except for a few knots above the cooker which are showing up greyish. I would really appreciate some advice on this. What to use for cleaning? how to treat the knots? and is there away to avoid making it any darker?
mack wrote:

Varnish won't enter(stain)into knots as they're too hard to penetrate and this is why they look grey. Best thing to do is get rid of the varnish off the knots and wax them and avoid varnishing back over them(go round them).
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

there is a wood varnish/white stain from Ikea called 'Behandla' . its 'fairly' transparent so the first coat would make it a bit whiter, the next coat more so, etc. if you put a bit 'extra' on the knots before-hand, you could 'fade' them out.
incidentally i think this would be good for all you out there, with 'knotty' and rather awful coloured pine furniture.
Ikea stuff like this is rather pricy, So I would be interested to know if there is something similar out there, not from Ikea, which would probably be cheaper.
would be interested to hear how you got on with it.

Hi Mack, for cleaning, use sugar soap. When I used it on my pine living room ceiling I was astonished at how much gunge and dirt came off it. Screwfix and other sheds sell it,
regards,
David