Re-Artexing

Hi there. I was wondering whether anyone out there could offer me some advice? I have a bathroom ceiling that has been Artexed in a very shallow random pattern and has been emulsioned in several coats of white vinyl silk. I wish to change the pattern which I think would involve removing the existing coating, or would a coat of Unibond pva be the answer and then re-Artexed whilst the Unibond is still tacky. Any answers much appreciated.
Thanks. Len.

Removing Artex is a bit of a bitch, made worse in my case because someone used a masonary type paint for the artex!
The chap I got in to do the job took two days to sand it all down, made enough dust to start your own desert and then skimmed it. It still wasn't flat and he wanted to sand again, but my wife had had enough of trying to clean an entire dust filled house so we ended up re-artexing over the lumpy skim.
TonyB

I've had limited success with a wallpaper steamer in the past. BUT be careful, Tony's story is quite scary, as old artex often used to contain Asbestos fibres. I wouldn't recommend sanding Artex under ANY circumstances.
Al

Very sound advice! Asbestos (white) was used in artex up to the mid 80s, and possibly beyond (depends who you talk to). So it is HIGHLY likely that any celing in the country with artex on it that was put-up before then will have asbestos in it, and you really don't wanna start disturbing the stuff! Steaming it off 'may' be safe (er), but you don't want to be making dust of it!!!!! ben

Hi Len, When I wanted to remove the artexing in my bathroom, I found it quicker to just pull the ceiling down and re-plasterboard. It hardly cost anything and I went for the tapered edge so with minimal filling I got a completely flat ceiling.
Ian
IED wrote:

Silly sod if you'd skimmed over it with plaster it would have given you the flat ceiling and at the same time kept the ceilings strenght without future cracks as well.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Benjamin You don't know me, so don't call me a silly sod. I have seen many ceilings where people have skimmed over artex and I haven't been impressed. That may be down to their skill or it may not. I see nothing wrong with replacing a ceiling. It won't lose any of its strength if extra noggins are inserted where appropriate and you get a perfectly flat finish. There is no reason for future cracks, unless you don't do it properly. Are you speaking from experience or a total lack of it?
Ian

I've removed artex and other textured coatings on many occasions very easily using a steam wall paper stripper. In fact I have found that it comes off quicker than stripping wallpaper. Have I just been lucky or is there some coatings which resist this method?
regards,
David
Many thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. Best regards. Len.

Hi Len,
Not sure if this advice is a bit late, but if you want any info on asbestos and diy in your home, you can get free advice from Asbestos Watchdog UK (http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk ). Mail them on snipped-for-privacy@asbestoswatchdog.co.uk and they'll be able to tell you all you need to know about the safety of dealing with your artex.