Artexing a ceiling

I am refurbishing my kitchen and have renewed some of the plaster board on the ceiling.

I want to have the ceiling artexed.

Does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first before it can be artexed?

I shall be getting someone to do the artexing for me, as I will definitley get more on the floor than the ceiling! :)

Reply to
dog-man

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy...

AFAIK not, although it might need the joints taping.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No it doesn't.

It's actually surprisngly easy to do.

Removing it is another discussion.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No you don't...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Merry christmas =}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

No, not if you think about it.

Kitchen. Grease. Cooking. Deep fat fryer. Steam. Condensation. Fumes. And if you smoke........

I have pretty much all of the ceilings in our place artexed - and done properly, and quite pleasingly it has to be said. All done when the place was built 30-40 years ago.

All except the kitchen, that is, which has a match-boarded ceiling (yeuk!) Done by a previous occupier, I suspect because they removed an internal wall between a passageway and the then kitchen, and didn't want or couldn't be bothered to make good between the two areas of ceiling. When we moved in, I had a decorator in to clean and then paint the timber ceiling as a temporary measure. The amount of greasy dirt that came off with a liberal application of sugar soap had to be seen to be believed. He changed the water several times before the ceiling was clean.

We're remodelling the kitchen in the next two or three months. The timber comes down and a new layer of plasterboard goes up over whatever is there already, to be covered with at least three coats of vinyl silk for a smooth even surface that won't attract too much greasy dirt and discolouration when the kitchen's in use.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Go and find someone who already has an artexed house and talk to them first! Its horrible stuff and i'd love some nice flat walls and ceilings!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well, I have been persuaded and I am now NOT going to have the ceiling artexed.

I will have it skimmed instead.

Reply to
dog-man