Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret?

Page 2 of 2

Peter Hucker wrote:

fixings that come with things are almost always far too small.

dno
NT
On 18 Jul 2005 06:44:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk wrote:

Although they can work if you drill far enough, ram the tiny plug right into the bottom of the hole and use a long enough screws. I'd agree that you almost always need to replace the screws though,
Peter Hucker wrote:

I always find Plasplugs good, everything else is a disaster.
Phil

Agreed, they always seem to work where others have failed. The only other thing I used to like was Philplug. You drilled the hole, put a chunk of this white fluffy stuff in the palm of your hand, wetted it (uncouth types like me spat on it), mixed and rolled it into a cigar shape then stuffed it into the hole using the tool provided which also had a point at the other end to make a pilot hole. Followed up with the screw and it always held beautifully. I haven't seen it for years, I believe there was some asbestos in the mix which got it banned, although I would have thought that some other ingredient could have been found.
--
Keith Willcocks

I think that the old fashioned wood screws were better as they were more tapered than the new super efficient ones. The new ones tend to cut a thread into the plug - the old screws used to force the plug apart to make it tighter.
Any observations on this theory?