Prviate Water supply problems

WATER SUPPLY PROBLEM

DURING FREEZING CONDITIONS THE PIPE TO THE PRESSURE SWITCH WAS FROZEN RESULTING IN NO WATER

AFTER UNFREEZING THE SWITCH STARTED HUNTING AND I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT THAT THE PRESSURE IN THE AQUA UNIT HAD FALLEN.

I CHECKED THIS AND IT WAS CORRECT AT 1.38 BAR

ORIGINALLY THE STARTING PRESSURE READING WAS 1.69 BAR

AND THE STOPPING PRESSURE WAS 2.07 BAR

THE READING AT PRESENT IS STARTING PRESSURE 5.8 BAR

AND THE STOPPING PRESSURE IS 6.5 BAR

THIS IS EXCESSIVE AND I AM WONDERING IF THE PRESSURE GAUGE IS NOW FAULTY AFTER THE FREEZE?

AS THE WATER CONTINUES TO FLOW WHAT ELSE COULD CAUSE THIS HIGH PRESSURE?

WHEN I SWITCH THE PUMP OFF AND OPEN THE TAP THE PRESSURE REDUCES TO 1.38 BAR AND STAYS THERE

HELP!!!! BLAIR MALCOLM

Reply to
bm

Mr Pounder

What was the reply??? I apologise for the capitals as I just copied a sheet I had typed previously Blair

Reply to
bm

Okay. I was rude. Do it all again and go into detail. I don't know what a pressure switch is or wtf a Aqua unit is and judging by the lack of support nobody else does.

If condensing boiler the condense pipe could have been frozen up, but should now be okay. Reboot and use 1.5 bar.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

OK, now you've unfrozen the caps lock key :P try uk.d-i-y instead. In lower case preferably!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

I did not know that there is a uk diy group. I thought all groups were universal I have apologised for the capitals Blair

Reply to
bm

I have a remote pump which pumps water up to my house and the system has a pressure vessel which keeps a minimum pressure on the system so that when a tap is opened the pressure in the vessel pushes the water out of the tap and then at a reduced pressure the pump kicks in and continues to supply water until the tap is turned off. At that point the pressure switch turns the pump off This pressure switch is set to start at 1.69 bar with a stopping pressure of

2.07bar The pressure in the pressure vessel is at 1.38bar After the freeze and the unfreezing I find the water flows OK but it is hunting continuously and the pressure on the pressure gauge shows a starting pressure of 5.8bar and a stopping pressure of 6.5bar Either the gauge has been damaged or there is a fault in the system which I cannot find. I was hoping that someone with a similar system would be able to help I do appreciate your help Blair
Reply to
bm

I meant it about uk.d-i-y. This is cross-posted to both groups.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

They are universal, in the sense that anyone can access them. But some are more focussed in one area than another. And it can mean that those across the pond, for example, may not know about our own rules and regulations - or we theirs.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Can't say this is absolutely the problem, but a lot of gauges used for this purpose are copper capillary tubes. Freezing can cause them to not be calibrated anymore. If the pressure and volume from the faucets appear near normal, it might be a good starting pint to change the gauge and see where you are. If it doesn't fix it at least you have a spare gauge at a bery minimal price.

Reply to
Roger

As long as your pressure vessel diaphragm, precharge and its connection to the pipeline is clear and completely thawed it sounds as though the pressure switch has been damaged by the expansion of ice within it. It might adjust down again but I'd be looking to fit a new one and make provision to prevent recurrence of the frost damage such as trace heating and lagging

Reply to
cynic

This is a cheap and easy way to check the system pressure

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=pressure+gauge&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0 If the pressure is ok it must be your gauge, if the pressure is too high it must be the switch

Reply to
Chewbacca

for the OP (thanks Andy) where is the pump located - in a well, below ground, above ground, - IOW could it have been frosted? did the suupply get interrupted recently? (assuming you are in UK/Eire)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If you are used to having a water pressure in the region of 1.5 bar and you now think it might be 6 bar, which is 4 times higher and would be immediately obvious as soon as you turn on a tap to fill a glass. You write reasonable eloquently and so I would have thought been able to notice such a pressure difference too. I suspect it is the gauge that is at fault and suggest you fit a new one indoors for future use where it will be protected against frost.

hth Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

yet that alone would not explain the high readings on the pressure gauge would it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The pump is above ground and is adequately insulated Drawing water from a large tank which is supplied by a pipe driven into the ground some 100 years ago. The water comes from a deep underground source at a rate of 4 gallons a minute As I said the water is flowing out of my taps Blair

Reply to
bm

Your pressure vessel has lost its air/gas capacity. It has a diaphragm across it with air/gas behind which provides the hysterisis, (ie a bit of capacity between the pump starting and stopping). If you loose the air/gas it will do exactly as you describe. I can only suppose that the cold has damaged the diaphragm and the air/gas has been lost. They are usually made in two halves, the diaphragm is located on the joint.

Some have a valve and can be repumped and some don't. (Car foot pump) This won't help if the diaphragm is split of course. Some are charged with nitrogen, not air & you can only replace them. Some can be dismantled and some can't (Most small ones can't).

But whatever, you have lost your gas/air out of the chamber

That was the first thing I checked and the pressure is unchanged Blair

Reply to
bm

I'm sure you are right but the hunting makes me thibnk it is more than that. Yes I have already improved the insulation in that area Thanks Blair

Reply to
bm

Thanks for that info but I am still confused as I joined a number of groups not realizing that they belong to a particular country. I had always assumed that the English speaking world was involved as in the past. I know I have received replies form numerous countries across the World I belong to the following aloe.org, msneews.microsoft.org, news.eternal-september.org and nutp.aioe.org Are you saying that there is agroup which deals primarly with UK matters? Blair

Reply to
bm

You need to check there is air in it. there might be pressure and no air. That's impossible there has to be air or a gas in the bladder Blair

Reply to
bm