Problem with finding economical drying

Page 1 of 2
Small terraced house in north london has a problem with drying clothes in winter time after they come out of the washing machine. They have been spun dried in the machine, but need hanging up to dry completely.
The House has central heating also with a vertical drying radiator in the bathroom, which will take a few items but obviously not much. A small drying rack has been affixed to the top of the drying radiator, which will take a few more clothes.
An *economical* solution is being looked for, to get the rest of the clothes dry . There is ' no ' room for a heated tumbler dryer, which anyway would use quite a lot of now expensive electricity. They already have two stand alone wire clothes drying racks.
Current thinking so far is to perhaps rig up some small oscillating electric fan to operated in the bathroom to get the air moving around, and hence enhance drying and stand the two drying racks in the bathroom. Another idea is to get one or two of the very small 15 watt electric pad heaters (used for standing under containers when fermenting wine) and placing each one in the middle of a clothes horse. (not much heat, but apparently we have been told that 'air flow' is the key factor.
Grateful for any advice, thanks.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Clothes_dryer
If you need something cheaper, a ceiling fan is reasonalby good. An oscillating fan won't perform nearly as well. A 15w heating pad is going to produce so litle airflow as to be of little use.
NT
Tube Heater of 240W 4ft length can be had on Ebay for about 26 delivered. Beware the surface temperature gets pretty hot.
You need to provide adequate ventilation otherwise your next question will be "how do we get rid of the black mould and windows running in water despite being double glazed" :-)
A more costly solution would be a dehumidifier. You choose a smallish room, hang the washing so air can flow freely, then run the dehumidifier.

Heating them without movement makes them stiff. Youre better off with just a fan.
NT
On 18/12/2011 15:13, john east wrote:

We still put ours out on a rotary drier. Even in winter it eventually dries providing it doesn't actually rain.
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:37:08 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

A lot of ours goes on a Sheila Maid in the utility room. Enough air movement in there to do a reasonable job, but if one has low ceilings it may not suit.
http://www.nutscene.com/store/category.vc ? categoryId&categoryParentId
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:37:08 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Must be a someone from the tropical south. B-)
Max today 0.6C, min -4C, currently -2.2C. Clothes will dry at sub-zero temps but it takes a very long time and as the water in them is frozen it's hard to tell when they are dry and when you bring 'em they get damp again due to condensation...
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:13:15 -0000, "john east"

I used to have an extendable clothes line (four lines) that could be extended across the bath and would retract when not in use.

They are still available
Jonathan
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:58:46 +0000, Scott wrote:

+1 when I had a flat.
Note other comments about damp/mould/condensation. Using the bathroom should side step those issues at it should have an extractor.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:43:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

I can confirm that the bath was in the bathroom :-)
On 18/12/2011 18:31, Scott wrote:

When I were a lad, our bath genuinely was galvanised iron and put in front of the kitchen fire to be used.
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

Ours was full of coal:-)
--
Adam

least you had one...
Jim K
On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:47:44 -0000, ARWadsworth

Don't know why but that just woke up a memory of a truly horrible dry cork mat and undissolved bath salts in very cold cast-iron bath. Deeply deglazed. In the bitterly cold winter of 62/3.
What a horrible memory...
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

Since I was 4 years old I have lived in a house that has had gas CH, apart from that time I made a complete fuck up and asked BG to install a gas meter in a flat I rented.........
--
Adam

Looxury...
Did anyone see that line on the "Scientists in Antarctica" prog which said they avoided sending people of a dour nature, so they never sent Yorkshiremen.

62/63? 7 years old
I remember walking near the banks of the Severn just outside Welshpool and ... woosh - disappeared into a 9' snow drift. They had to come and dig me out
best winter ever. We built an igloo in the playground of the Belan school
--
geoff

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:47:32 +0000, geoff wrote:

3 yo.

Remember walking on the frozen Avon at Stratford.

We had one in the back garden. No central heating, that arrived in about 1968. Before then the space heating for a 3 bed semi was an open coal fire in the back room and gas fire in the front (rarely used). Bedrooms where basically unheated, hot water bottles, blankets & eiderdowns. Sucking of old pennies to melt spy holes in the ice on the windows. Happy days.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I too used to live near Welshpool - but many years later. But I think you've slipped up in the arithmetic - 6 years old then. So not quite as old as you suggest. :-)
--
Rod