Plaster Problems

Hi There,

Summer 2005 I bought a terrace house, roughly dated 1900 , House was fine and only had some rising damp problems on the front wall down stairs (south facing), This problem was brought to light in the survey of the building that I had done. So that august I got a company in to redo the dpc and re plaster the wall. The plaster its self was 'ok' to say how old it was it was just wet from the rising damp.

So it was replastered and I left it months before touching it so that it was dry. However, early part of this year around April time I noticed some small horizontal cracks appearing in the new plaster, didn't think much of it as they were hairline, I guessed it was maybe normal in new plaster, I planned to fill them in later, so I left them. However it got worse and spread more until it was the width of the window (approx 3 feet). I got married this year so after we got back off the honey moon in July I noticed that the plaster at the lower half of the crack is starting to come forward, away from the wall, so if you rung your hand up the wall from the bottom as you get near the crack it comes into the room.

I've noticed a few other similar small cracks appearing on the same wall, Interestingly its more towards the top of the new plaster, approx 3 feet from the floor that they are happening

I have rung the firm up to tell them about and am going round in the next day or 2 to make an appointment for them to come and look at it.

What could be causing this to happen? Does anyone have any ideas at all

Chris

Reply to
Chris White

Might be worth asking this at

Codswallop

Thanx, ill take a look there

Chris

Reply to
Chris White

Let us know what the DPC company say when they return to look at the plaster.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If the crack is 3 feet from the floor and horizontal, then it is probably where the new DPC plaster meets the old 1900 plaster. This is probably a drying out crack that could be filled with decorators caulk. If the new plaster is moving away from the wall this is more serious and will need to be replaced. For a DPC the plaster should be sand a cement render on to the brickwork, preferably with some of the damp proof silicon mixed in to make waterproof, then skimmed over. This should be done 1m from the floor on all solid walls.

Regards Brian

Reply to
Blueyonder