Plaster coving - cutting

Going to put up plaster coving into our bedroom. Are the external corner cuts the same as internal ones? Did my daughter's bedroom several years ago but that was just a square room, all internal cuts. Our bedroom has an alcove in one corner so will need an external corner. I have got one of those cove cutting jigs, the plastic triangular which sits on the coving then you just cut keeping the saw on the jig.
Thanks

You use the same jig but turn it 'upside down' IYSWIM. The lugs on the jig that locate on the coving edge go on the other edge and cut as normal. Have you still got the instructions for the jig? It will tell you on there how to cut int and ext corners, but you can do it with that jig, try it out on a piece of scrap first to get the jist. You will probably find your corner isn't square anyway so you will need to fill in afterwards, filling an external corner requires more care than an internal one if you want it to look good.
HTH
John

external mitre on it so you can use that. Don't turn it upside down though as it will go pear-shaped :)
Franko.
| Going to put up plaster coving into our bedroom. Are the external corner | cuts the same as internal ones? Did my daughter's bedroom several years ago | but that was just a square room, all internal cuts. Our bedroom has an | alcove in one corner so will need an external corner. I have got one of | those cove cutting jigs, the plastic triangular which sits on the coving | then you just cut keeping the saw on the jig. | | Thanks | | I noticed the flexing of the plastic jig so I glued a brace inside. How did plasterers make these mitres before this kind of DIY jig arrived?
Beemer

just 'but' then together square or cut a 'normal' mitre and join like you would skirting / dado rails?

is a mitred joint, even if it does crack slightly it will still not look so noticeable as a butt joint.
Franko.
If you have not already bought the coving consider 120mm PAPER covered polystyrene coving instead of plaster.
Its cheaper .........lighter.......easier to fix with adhesive and 2" panel pins......and....... you can cut it easily with a knife.........you really cant tell the difference once painted.
As for the corners you need a coving mitre box......about 6 in B and Q.......cuts inward and outward corners perfectly.
Just did my lounge and it looks fine.
Best of luck
Alan

I did go for the paper covered polystyrene coving. Agree with you on all your points. Easy to cut, handle and a doddle to put up. Have applied 2 coats of paint and the joints are invisible. I ended up doing a butt joint as recommended on the coving packaging, and filling with filler.
Just need to paint the walls and put down some laminate floor now!!! Oh, the joys of decorating.