OT Speed of Processor

Page 1 of 3
I have had a PC given to me. Looks quite old and it is running Win98.
How can I tell the speed of the processor.?
I have looked in START/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM but it only tells me what it is, not the speed.
Jim
On 10/01/2011 23:15, the_constructor wrote:

When you turn the PC `on, and it beeps at you (usually the keyboard lights flash) you should have the chance to press DEL or F2 to go into the BIOS setup - this will usually tell you in there.
Otherwise http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html
it may tell you at the very start when it beeps too - you and press the pause key usually to pause the boot here.
--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
the_constructor wrote:

IIRC, try right-clicking on the MY Computer icon on the desktop and the Properties and you should see the information towards the bottom under Computer.
Cash
It happens that Cash formulated :

Win98 ???
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I'm running Win98SE and that procedure tells me this: Computer AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2500+ 224.0MB RAM

http://compreviews.about.com/cs/cpus/gr/aaprAthlon2500.htm
--
Tinkerer

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It certainly did when I last used Windows 98SE Harry.
Cash
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:15:30 -0000, the_constructor wrote:

If none of the other responses works, try CPU-Z. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
--
Cheers

JW

On 11/01/2011 00:05, JW wrote:

Use this first! It's excellent. It's now in my set of software that I install as standard.
Peter Scott
On 11/01/2011 11:24, Peter Scott wrote:

I agree, it is very good.
--
Bod

saying:

I can honestly say I've never had a need for any of that information - or even cared particularly about the clock speed. Either the machine's quick enough, or it isn't. If it isn't, it's rarely the CPU speed which is the biggest bottleneck.
So what am I missing?
On 11/01/2011 11:46, Adrian wrote:

The information.
--
Bod

saying:

Well, yes, but is it information, or just data? Why should I care?
On 11/01/2011 11:57, Adrian wrote:

Handy to identify not only your CPU info, but type of memory installed/Graphics card etc, all in one place. Obviously wasted on you.
--
Bod

saying:

Yes, it clearly is. That's why I'm asking - because I would like to know whether there's something I'm missing.
Unless you're producing some benchmarking, to produce quantifiable performance stats for comparison purposes, I can think of no reason you would need to know - other than purely for interest's sake.
On 11/01/2011 12:07, Adrian wrote:

I often upgrade other peoples computers, the prog is very handy for that info.
--
Bod

saying:

Right...?
Again - BUT WHY? What do you need to know all of that info for?
If you're replacing the CPU or graphics, then all you need is the socket/ slot spec, which a quick look will tell you. If you're increasing the memory, then all you need is the brand/model of the machine or mobo - and that can all be got from either the sticker on the front or (at the outside) the BIOS.
Adrian wrote:

If you're upgrading, it helps to know what's there, and that in turn can tell you whether it's worth upgrading and how far the upgrade can go. CPU-Z can also tell you this in a minute or so after booting from a CD without opening the case, which can be an issue at times.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

--
Bod

On 11 Jan 2011 12:13:39 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Why go to the effort of undoing everything, fighting your way through dust and cobwebs, delving through wiring looms, when something like CPU-Z will tell you everything you need to know? Socket alone does not tell you what CPU you can use. That is up to the mobo/BIOS combination. Often, a quick look isn't possible to check the socket, as the HSF will obscure the actual socket plate.
It's also handy as a simple check that everything is running at the correct speeds. Some old machines that I built defaulted to a lower bus speed. Yes - the BIOS would tell me that on POST, but if already running, why reboot when you can find out immediately? The BIOS generally doesn't give detailed information regarding the CPU, such as the stepping etc.
--
Cheers

JW