noisy floorboards

We have a 1970s Wimpy built house and the floorboards are now really creaky and noisy when you walk around upstairs. What would be the best way of sorting this?
"Marvin" wrote:

The boards have come lose so need nailing or screwing down to the joists, but beware of any pipes or cables underneath. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/squeaking_floorboards.htm
Codswallop wrote:

Thanks. Do you think it would be worth getting new floorboards fitted? The originals are not that great.

Had this problem myself a while back.Was told a good short term measure is to rub talc powder between the joints but didnt really work well for me.Floorboards were ok so i was able to just put a couple of screws in as the nails didnt hold well enough and problem was solved.But please please please be very careful where you place the nails/screws.Follow the old line of nails and you shouldnt go far wrong,get a cheap pipe detector just to be safe.Far cheaper than having to call out a plumber! ;-)
Jon
Marvin wrote:

If you're going to that extent and want a long term solution? a piece of cork matting on each joist where the floorboard rest and screw the floorboard down not nail it. Nailing it backdown will eventually rise to the floorboard becoming loose again.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

What sort of screws are best for this job?
Marvin wrote:

50mm woodscrews http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 846&id110
Whenever screwing down floor boards without taking them up always keep near to the edge of them as there might be channels in the middle below which house pipes,wiring.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"Marvin" wrote:

Without seeing them I can't say. If the existing ones are split/damaged from previous lifting and can't be screwed down solid then probably yes. The problem with replacing only some of them could be finding new ones of the same thickness and width.