Floorboards

Hi

I'm having a supporting wall between two rooms knocked down.

How do I 'fill' the gap between the floorboards in each room where the wall used to be?

I want to 'fill' with floorboards as I plan to sand them down and varnish.

The joists run in the same direction as the (ex) wall.

Thanks

Reply to
sumo

Is the wall brick or stud? You might find that stud walls are actually built on to the floor and no gaps will be left at all.

Reply to
BigWallop

And if not, you rip a load of them up and relay so the ends don't line up any more.

Reply to
EricP

Reply to
sumo

A brick wall will have a foundation of some sort below it, so you really need to clear the wall right down to that to make the floor good above it. The brick wall should be just over the width of a modern floor board, so you shouldn't have much trouble in replacing the one and a tiny bit once the wall is gone.

I say that the footing support for a brick wall should be cleared well away from the floor to allow ventilation through the floor once it's complete and patch. But you will also need to keep at least the first row of brick work that holds the joists in place on the footing of course.

Reply to
BigWallop

But if he does as you say, the new floorboard will be at right-angles to the existing floorboards - I'm sure this is not what he wants!! Having said that, I don't have an anwer.

Reply to
Mackem