Mystery mesh

Hi Folks, I have a little mystery for you. I have recently been re fixing some loose floor boards (bloody plumbers) in the back bedroom and have been reminded of an unusual fixture in the house. Above the ceiling plaster fixed to the bottom of the floor joists we have 1 inch mesh chicken wire/wire netting stretched over the entire area, any ideas why?
The house was built in the 1930s and the ceilings are plaster onto a metal mesh (not the chicken wire that is separate) with steel bars approx every 6 inches. At some time a second ceiling 2 inches below the original has been added in the ground floor rooms. That threw me when running a network cable soon after we came here. Having lifted an upstairs floorboard and drilled through the ceiling I could see, I could not understand why there was no hole to be seen from below!!! I then drilled up from below and could not see a hole from above!!!! Only when I used a 2 inch hole saw from above (not easy through the steel mesh) could I see the second ceiling layer.
Mike
I seem to recall reading about a murderer who had a similar set-up in one bedroom, the wire mesh also connected to some of the floor board nails, when in the mood for a quick murder, he'd connect the mesh to the electric and make a noise outside in the dead of night so the occupant would go to the window - barefoot - and BZZZZ electrocuted - job done!
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:33:38 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Sounds like Expamet (expanded metal mesh), which is quite a modern idea. I've been on sites in the past where old lath-and-plaster ceilings have been refurbished. the lath and plaster would be removed completely and then sheets of fine mesh Expamet affixed to the joists. The plasterer then does his thing, creating a brand new ceiling.
I suspect that at some time in the recent past a previous owner had this done and later the same, or another, owner decided the existing ceiling was too high and decided to install a false ceiling below it.
Aardvark wrote:

Alternatively, a previous owner had it done and decided the best thing to do with the mess was to install a false ceiling below it...
Andy

I don't think so. Its wire netting not Expamet and the plaster is not stuck to the wire mesh anywhere that floorboards have been lifted, and a few have been up in every room now. Plus its definately from the original 1930s build as the old ceiling is complete and below the mesh wherever I have looked.

The house was a care home owned by the local housing authority for several years so I am fairly confident the second ceiling was installed for fire precaution reasons.

Yes, well, see my explanation!

Yep, like I said!!!! look for the cable and don't let anyone flick a switch until you're done!
Ron