My Washing Machine wont work.

Hi,
I have a Candy Sprint 1000 Washing Machine that has stopped working. When I select any Program including drain only or spin only nothing happens.
The Washer has a seperate On/Off switch to the timer and when the machine is switched on the red light above the timer lights up which shows that it is not the fuse.
In the year before the machine stopped working, the Program selector switch would sometimes rotate clicking from one program to another for about a minute or two before returning to the correct position.
I assume that the Timer/Programmer/Selector is faulty and needs replacing but as I have no experience in repairing washing machines I would be grateful for your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
John.
snipped-for-privacy@Aol.com wrote:

Sounds like the brushes have gone on the motor. Easy enough to fix. The part will cost about 5. To call a repair man 80. Get a copy of they Haynes Washing machine repair manual.
-- zaax

Motor brushes would not make the machine dead, is the door locking closed ?
Thanx,
Everyone seems to be saying it's the Motor Brushes, but I cant see how worn/broken motor brushes would stop the machine doing a drain only function, as to the door locking, Im not sure I understand your question but there seems to be no defect with the door whatsoever, it has been suggested to me that by an Ex repairman that it is the Interlock which I have taken out, but I have no way of testing it, apart from a continuity test I did before I took it out, and there is continuity between the live pin on the mains plug and both AC contacts when the main On/Off switch is put into the On position. I do have the Haynes manual but it does not tell me how to test the Interlock or the timer or what the fault is apart from saying it might be the Interlock, I could gamble on buying a new Interlock and if that does not work then buying a new Timer.

Regards,
John.

the wires together outside the interlock. This will tell you for sure if the locking gear is working or not.
The machine won't do anything at all if it thinks the door is still open, and it checks this using a little switch that makes and breaks when the pecker engages in the hole and pushes a slide back against the switching mechanism. These Interlocks also have a temperature activated locking system that must cool sufficiently before the machine will allow the door to be opened after a wash cycle. The locking is done by a bi-metal strip that doesn't allow the lock to be released when the door is pulled, so it's a simple to work on as well.

centre wire marked on the interlock and usually thinner in size

If the door locks closed when turned on at the switch ie you cannot open the door then the interlock is fine, if not short the live and common together (two thick wires) and see if the machine then work. I agree with you the brushes will not effect the drain pump.
On 9 Jul 2005 11:46:43 -0700, in free.uk.diy.home " snipped-for-privacy@Aol.com"

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html and look for Washing Machine FAQ
-- Phil Remove NOSPAM to reply