monobloc tap connection

I have bought a replacement but different make monobloc kitchen sink tap. There are no markings on its underside for me to determine which connection is hot and which is cold. Is there any way I can tell which is which? Also is there a convention which way a tap should turn when hot is selected?
Beemer
"Beemer" wrote:

If it's a monobloc mixer then it doesn't matter which feed is hot and which is cold, there is no convention as far as I know, connect up which ever way round you are used to for the old taps, and swap the tap covers marked hot and cold around if necessary.
"News groups" <?> wrote in message | "Beemer" wrote: | >I have bought a replacement but different make monobloc kitchen sink tap. | > There are no markings on its underside for me to determine which | > connection | > is hot and which is cold. Is there any way I can tell which is which? | > Also is there a convention which way a tap should turn when hot is | > selected? | > | > Beemer | | If it's a monobloc mixer then it doesn't matter which feed is hot and which | is cold, there is no convention as far as I know, connect up which ever way | round you are used to for the old taps, and swap the tap covers marked hot | and cold around if necessary. | | Sorry I should have said that it is a single lever monobloc. Around my house various plumbers have installed similar taps some of which swing left for hot and others swing right. Clearly not a good thing with kids around.
Beemer

Blow through one hole and turn the tap from one side to the other. Usually the LH hole is left etc.

Hot is usually LH side from the front but I prefer it the other way around. It's up to you, it's your tap.
It's what the folk in the house are used to. Upstairs we have hot on the left, downstairs hot on the right. The shower just works!!! Joe

Cold is normally on right, to stop spout getting too hot do it that way the hot is usually the centre tube of the spout, in other words the cold pipe surrounds the hot
Also if a visitor gets scalded because the hot come out of the wrong tap watch out for a visit from 'lawyers are us'
kitchenman
wrote:

tap.

That doesn't always follow I'm afraid. The monobloc tap that I have just taken of my sink and put on ebay, has cold on the right and hot on the left, but that's as far as it goes. The water combines at the valves into the central output pipe. Ruddy murder when you have only had hot tap running and then forget and put cold tap on. Cold water pushes hot water out first and ouch !
--
the_constructor